Questions about my 1st "build-it" project

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeloader

Solid State Member
It's time to replace my old P3 600MHz machine. My main interest is in "bang for the bucks", longevity and upgradeability. I will probably stick with Intel for no major reason other than its what I have now.

Here is what I think will give me what I want.

Processor:
P4 630 = 3.0GHz 64 bit capable
L2 = 2MB
FSB = 800MHz

Board:
Intel D925XCV (or equivelent)
ATX
10-100-1000 integrated

Memory:
DDR2 SDRAM @ 533MHz = 1GB

Hard Drives:
SATA, 7200rpm, 160 to 200 GB = 2ea

DVD +/- R/RW DL:
Plextor PX-716A

DVD-ROM
Yet to be decided

3.5 Floppy Drive
Possibly with card reader

Video Card:
Good but moderatly priced
(ATI RADEON X300?)

Sound Card:
Good but moderatly priced
(SB AUDIGY 2?)

Case:
????

Power Supply:
???? (450 watts?)

Added cooling for the case???

Any comments, suggestions or... especially suggestions concerning the case and power supply would be apreciated.

TIA
FF

You going to overclock? Also, might want to look at the 6600GT if you want bang for your buck. As for the power supply, if you want longevity and upgradeability, might want to look at some 500 watt ones (especially if you're going to do some heavy duty overclocking). I also hear that DDR2 RAM isn't all that it is cracked up to be... look at regular DDR SDRAM.

Well I would not get that RAM, since it runs at 533...... If you want to get DDR II @ 533 make sure that your CPU has a 1066 bus on it. I would just get a Dual Channel kit of 1 gb (512x2) of pc-3200.

Also a 6600GT is a good card at a good price. Try to get a PCI-E flavor. They seem to run either cheaper and or at the same price as AGP. So why not get it???? But make sure you have the proper mobo to go with it.

I have not considered overclocking. This will be a work as well play machine. I don't want to get to wild with it. It has to be reliable for the work aspect. Most of the play aspect will be image processing in PS, very little to no gaming.

I chose the P4 630 as the basis for the new machine. This processor seems to give the most bang for the buck with maximum potential for upgrading down the road.
As I understand the info on the Intel site, this leaves me with a choice of the 925X or one of the 915 series chipsets. Thinking that an ATX sized board with nothing other than Ethernet integrated and 64 bit capable suites my wants, my only choice is the D925XCV mother board.

This board has a FSB of 800/533MHz and is set up for DDR2 SDRAM 533/400MHz.

You seem to be right about DDR2 not being that much better than DDR RAM. Although, they do seem to be working some of the bugs out. I may not have much choice with this MoBo.

I'll check into the GF6600GT. Because of the heavy image processing I do, I am keeping my old trinitron CRT. I haven't seen any flat panels that compare for image and color quality.

Thx for your input. More thoughts and comments are invited.
FF

Dont get the radeon x300. At least get the x300 se hypermemory version. I'm also pretty certain that you can use other chipsets for a 630.

I would probably not get an Intel brand mobo. Consider Asus, Abit, or MSI.

You probably do not need a seperate sound card unless you plan on doing recording, or serious music listening on it, the onboard should be fine.

I have not looked at prices yet, but you may also want to consider the 945/955 chipset so you have dual core support down the line.

The DDR2 is fine, and you really don't have much of a choice, all higher end Intel setups have DDR2. The 533 will give you good OC headroom if you ever need it in the future ;)

antec makes good psu's, check out the neopower 480 , but make sure it has at least 30amps on the 12v rail , watts mean nuttin, go check out the psu101 at computerforum.com

Well, I've been digging up info about the components for this project and have a new list as follows:

PROCESSOR:
Intel P4 630
Sorry 1337 but I'm gonna stick with that one.

MoBo:
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium.
That way I get the 1066 FSB and the pricing isn't all that much higher than any of the 925X boards. Plus, I get a whole bunch of stuff to screw around with in the BIOS.

HDDs:
2 ea WD Caviar SE 160GB SATA

DVD+/-R/RW:
#1 Drive= Plextor PX716SA
#2 Drive= Lite-On SOHW-1673S

Floppy Drive
Teac 235HF

VIDEO CARD:
ATI Radeon 9550
I'm keeping my old Dell P991 Trinitron monitor. But, I may add a 2nd larger flat pannel monitor later.

SOUND CARD:
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
I do a lot of processing and burning vinyl to CD as well as compiliations from CDs.

CASE:
ANTEC P160

PSU:
ANTEC NeoPower480
I agree Bunch. I think that one's worth the price.

Now, other than cables and other miscelaneous gear, the last major component decision is concerning the RAM. I've still gotta figure out what is "high quality RAM", then get at least 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM.

Which brings up another question;
When talking about "Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM", the "dual channel" portion is dependent on the chipset or mobo not the RAM , right?

Does anyone see any inconsistancies or conflicts in my component list?

Thx
FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom