a true 64 bit processor????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
here is what I read...

"IS Pentium-D a TRUE 64-BIT PROCESSOR?

A true 64-bit processor is one-single-chip and is used ONLY in high-end server applications (Intel & AMD products). Pentium D is NOT a true 64-bit processor (AMD does not offer one for desktops either – regardless of what you have heard…) Pentium D uses two 32-bit processors side-by-side to ‘mimic’ 64-bit functionality. In the consumer-SMB markets this is more than acceptable."

So I guess this is why they say the P4 600 series is an emulated 64 bit processor, and intel is saying that AMD is an emulated 64 bit processor too, not one 64 bit processor.

Kinda confusing.

i think i read sumthing before about the amds being 48bit or sumthing. dunno if theres any truth in that though.

AMD uses true 64 bit processing, while Intel uses Emulated 64 bit processing (though I thought each half of the Pentium D did its own 64 bit processing, not a shared process).

Where did you find this? I wish to know.

EDIT:

48 bit wouldnt make sense... processors work on the binary code, which means you must double the previous number. 48 dosnt come even close.

I think you read some messed up article... but please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the AMD and Intel 64-bit funtions are practically identical. Neither is more "emulated" than the other.

Macdawg, do you have a link to that article?

I work at Gateway computers. A guy from intel came in yesterday and talked to us.

He says the only true 64 bit processors are the "sempron" or something, anyways, just processors for servers by intel or amd.

He said the AMD 64 is not a true 64 bit processor and neither are Pentium D's or the P4 600 series. They are all emulated.

Straight from the Intel rep's mouth to the Gateway rep's.

I was just reading my email, and wanted to share this with you. Here is the email I recieved:

WHAT DID YOU LEARN IN TRAINING TODAY?

Pentium D is dual-core technology but ‘D’ implies ‘Desktop’ just like Pentium M implies ‘Mobile’.

This is positioned for premium, high-end consumers interested in performance of 2.8GHz Hyper-Threading or above.

WHATÂ’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HYPER-THREADING and PENTIUM D?

P4 w/ HT act as two seperate processors and share total cache and bus (one app can take bandwidth from another)

Pentium D is 2 separate processors with its own cache & bus.

IS Pentium-D a TRUE 64-BIT PROCESSOR?

A true 64-bit processor is one-single-chip and is used only in high-end server applications (Intel & AMD products). Pentium D is NOT a true 64-bit processor (AMD does not offer one for desktops either – regardless of what you have heard…) Pentium D uses two 32-bit processors side-by-side to ‘mimic’ 64-bit functionality. In the consumer-SMB markets this is more than acceptable.

NOTE: There are less than a small handful of 64-bit software applications in existence. Microsoft Longhorn will be a 64-bit operating system BUT you do NOT need a 64-bit processor to run it. EXAMPLE: You can load Windows XP on an older PC and it WILL run just not with the same level of performance and user experience as it would on a newer PC.

FadingTheory said:
48 bit wouldnt make sense... processors work on the binary code, which means you must double the previous number. 48 dosnt come even close.

Oh that's not how u see the number 48 man.. The "bit size" could mean any one of address bus/data bus/internal registers etc.. Typically, they mean the size of the internal registers however.

If you take a 48-bit integer register for example, it means it can support numbers (both positive and negative) up to approximately 2^47.. If the register was only 32-bit, then it can hold numbers up to 2^31 (positive and negative)..

Same thing with addressing.. a 32-bit address bus.. In this case, we are only interested in positive quantities.. 2^32 = 4 x (1024)^3 ~ 4 billion memory locations.. Assuming each "location" represents one byte, 2^32 can uniquely identify 4 Giga Bytes.. This # sounds familiar? :p..

horndude said:
Intel guy was NOT entirely correct.

PPC970 is a desktop true 64 bit processor, has been for years

As far as I know, the AMD 64 bit CPU's operate in true 64 bit mode,but also emulate 32bit mode, I have no clue about the Intel's.

Horndude is right

Horndude = 1
Intel = 0

Man, if that's the level of education people at Gateway get, no wonder they have problems. It sounds like teaching computers to a 2nd grader. Anyways....

The thing that doesn't make any since is, what about the 64-bit single core AMD and Intel chips. It seems wierd how they are combining the concept of dual core and 64-bit into one....

I work at Gateway computers. A guy from intel came in yesterday and talked to us.

He says the only true 64 bit processors are the "sempron" or something, anyways, just processors for servers by intel or amd.
what is that Intel guy on?
the Sempron's are actually the same as Athlon 64 Clawhammer's, but WITHOUT the 64-bit registers

He said the AMD 64 is not a true 64 bit processor and neither are Pentium D's or the P4 600 series. They are all emulated.

Straight from the Intel rep's mouth to the Gateway rep's.
the Intel's are emulated, however the Athlon 64's are not. just look at the transistor count, the Athlon 64's have much more than Athlon XP's because they are naturally 64-bit processors.

IS Pentium-D a TRUE 64-BIT PROCESSOR?

A true 64-bit processor is one-single-chip and is used only in high-end server applications (Intel & AMD products). Pentium D is NOT a true 64-bit processor (AMD does not offer one for desktops either – regardless of what you have heard…) Pentium D uses two 32-bit processors side-by-side to ‘mimic’ 64-bit functionality. In the consumer-SMB markets this is more than acceptable.
maybe it is acceptable for those who don't see performance differences between 500MHZ P3's and 6GHZ P4's, those who only use Word and IE, but high-end users (gamers, server admins) will see a much bigger 64-bit performance difference using Athlon 64's/Opterons over "64-bit" Pentium 4's. it has been proven in benchmarks with what few 64-bit apps there are.

NOTE: There are less than a small handful of 64-bit software applications in existence. Microsoft Longhorn will be a 64-bit operating system BUT you do NOT need a 64-bit processor to run it. EXAMPLE: You can load Windows XP on an older PC and it WILL run just not with the same level of performance and user experience as it would on a newer PC.
actually, I've seen a review of a beta tester (or alpha possibly) who said that "Longhorn" would not install on a 32-bit CPU. (even Athlon XP's) this might be different for XP 64 though

so far, I actually hope Intel does get their act together, but from what that guy said to you, it looks just like they are lying in desperation for some customers.
remember, they got banned from Japan for 3 months for being sleezy and giving discounts for not buying AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom