Old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I was using a VERY old PC (my grandparents computer for those who read my other thread) and I was thinking that if it had a decent modem, the internet connection wouldn't be so bad. However, when my uncle and I try to put in a new modem, the computer doesn't recognize it. Now, I think it has to be because the motherboard is so old and the modem is new, but what can I do to get it to work without putting any money into it? Will a BIOS flash help?

I thought I was in the Computer Hardware category when I put this up... sorry about that.

Since it is already up here, can anyone answer my question?

What kind of modem are you trying to install? A cable/dsl modem? Modems do increase internet speeds, but nothing eminenly. Did you completely uninstall your old modem? If its a cable/dsl?

Yes completely uninstalled. I do not know exactly what kind of modem it is (my uncle has it right now) but I can tell you it is for dail-up.

It isn't my pc, and they don't want to upgrade. They think it is the greatest thing because their son-in-law gave it to them, but they don't realize what a piece of @%$@ it is. So anyway, they refuse to upgrade because it was a "gift."

I never heard of anyone replacing a 56k modem lol. What kind of computer is this? Remember is all onboard.

I don't know... I just know that everything is too damn old. I know nothing else about it... CPU-Z killed it pretty much. I know it has a pentium 233 MHz processor. I also know that the motherboard battery died not too long ago and my uncle had to buy a new one for them. Don't worry about it, I was just wondering how I could make it a little better for working online because they won't let me upgrade anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom