Startup Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3wt3ch

Baseband Member
Hi All,

I'm new to computer building and administration and I'm having a problem with my computer not starting. It's sort of embarrasing (and shows how much of a novice I really am) but just before it started happening I was in my CMOS menu under the BIOS options and I changed one of the options for my CPU. I believe it was something like "CPU Acceleration" and I set it to enabled. I then hit "Save & Exit" and the system shutdown. When I tried to turn it back on it just beeps once and shuts off. I tried starting it a few tiomes and it just kept doing the same thing. From doing some online research I think resetting the CMOS would fix the problem, but I'm a beginner and have no idea what resetting the CMOS would do overall.

Here's my setup (it's old school so don't laugh too hard)

CPU: AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) 1 GHZ Processor
MOBO: ABIT KT7 (Not Raid Version)
PSU: Addtronics 300W

I think that's everything that matters. If you need any more info reply and I'll get it. Meanwhile I downloaded the Manual for the ABIT KT7 and am going to start going through it and see what I find.

Thanks for any input or help!

Mike

I believe there is a pin that you can pull on the mobo that will reset all the bios settings to default. check the manual and see if it mentions that.

reset d bios
check inside the mobo there will be a battery open it for 2-5 minutes n plug it
else locate a reset jumper near d battery reposition d jumper to rest the bios

Yeah, check the manual first. There should be a jumper somewhere. You turn off your power, take off the jumper from 1 and 2, and put it on 2 and 3 for maybe 5 seconds. Then put it back on 1 and 2 and turn your computer on. It works something like that, but find where it is and what to do with your manual.

I took the jumper and switched it from 2 to 3 last night and left it because I wasn't sure what to do next. Do I need to plug the computer back in for it to reset or can I just switch it back and be done with it.

Thanks for all your help!

Replace the jumper in it's normal position and turn it on

And for taking the battery out, 3-4 minutes isnt long enough.

Hi,

If you are a new player in the field of computer building then check the following website.

http://www.cheapest-computer-hardware-software.com

This site is about how to build a computer. If you want to build your custom computer, you are at right place. This step by step computer guide will help you to build your own computer using cheapest computer parts. It is the best site to know how to build a computer and to solve all computer related problems.

Warm Regards.

Cleopatra.

Cleopatra said:
Hi,

If you are a new player in the field of computer building then check the following website.

http://www.cheapest-computer-hardware-software.com

This site is about how to build a computer. If you want to build your custom computer, you are at right place. This step by step computer guide will help you to build your own computer using cheapest computer parts. It is the best site to know how to build a computer and to solve all computer related problems.

Warm Regards.

Cleopatra.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for as many good resources as I can for building and modding machines. I also found that one of the best places to look is the manual (if it's available). I found a ton of really cools features and ways to tune my old board while I was looking through it's documentation. I decided to download the docs on my new mobo and study them before I get the board so I'll have a heads up.

I reset the CMOS and re-entered all the settings in the BIOS that got erased and that worked. The problem stems from my board not detecting my fan speeds which is anoher problem entirley that I'll have to deal with. I'm kind of happy I did this because in doing so I learned how to reset the CMOS and got some hands on experience with setting up my BIOS. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom