Video Card overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rouen said:
I put the card in, turn on the comp, my screen flashes, then stays black. What happened?
That's what you get for using eVGA. :) Did you plug the power connector into the video card?

Actually EVGA is really good. Yeah i figured it out, I deleted the ATI drivers and it works fine.

However...

Is it just me, or does Nvidia take up alot of your system memory? I can't run any programs while playing CS 1.6 without having the screen jerk every other second. I can't run AIM, or even WinAmp at the same time. I have 512MB, I only have 25 processes in my Task Manager, using 186/1249M of my Commit Charge, with this window, Steam, AIM, and WinAmp, all running right now. Whats going on here?

I am wondering if it is still a driver conflict. How did you remove the ATI drivers?

Reformat is really the best choice. Using a nVidia should not effect multitasking at all.

I used a program called Driver Cleaner to remove the ATI drivers. I dunno where my windows disk is, since I only have one of the two disks I need. Things load sooooo much slower. The driver conflict shouldn't just slow the comp down. Its ticking me off I can't use more then two programs at once, and I dont mean games either. It took a full two minutes for Windows to load. It isn't overheating, everything is nice and cool

OK. I was on the phone with eVGA, I followed what he told me to do. I put a separate 12V line to my video card. I turned it on, and I saw a huge flame and flash from the window of my case, WHILE ON THE PHONE. I inspected the case. All compoents were ok, except the video card. It was scorched. It happened the moment I turned the power on. I put the old ATI card in, and the computer did indeed still function.

Despite the fact the burn was not covered by the warranty, he confirmed with his supervisor it was OK to RMA the video card. lol

I put my old ATI cards back in the case, but I was still having the same problem. Driver conflicts are not the issue. Its system performance.

I'm starting to think that the low voltage of the old PSU damaged my computer somehow. I dont believe it's the CPU. However, windows loading time takes forevvvver. I'm starting to think its either my memory, or my hard drive. However, given how my hard drive has nothing to do with my video game performance, since it skips at fixed intervels, like every second and a half, ONLY when I'm running a program at the same time as a game, I believe its memory.

Can a knowledgeable person answer this post, and verify what kinds of computer components that are most suspetible to damage from low voltage?

Im not too sure but maby its a problem with ur motherboard or Bios settings, i would recomend trying the graphics card in another machine and if it works fine that machine compare the specs and settings of that machine with yours ( voltages etc.)

ahhh...

if you pluged the 6800 into the psu and flicked the power switch... then its prolly the PSU that has problems not the card it just fried. perhaps.

what is the PSU that your using now? and what are its specs?

you may have another bad psu on ur hands, that could be ur only problem. maybe.

*Note* how i said maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom