PC keeps on rebooting when shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I Have a Compaq 1.7 GHz PC with Windows 2000.

Every time I try to shut down the PC, it boots back up into Windows.

I have tried the following:

+ setting the PC to defaults in BIOS
+ unchecked the "automatically reboot when theres errors" option in Windows
+ unplugged the power and plugged it back in

Thanks for any help!

In the command prompt, I can shut down the PC and it works fine. I created a desktop shortcut that executes this command. I understand that i can create a .batch file to do this automaticlaly, but is there any other way to fix it?

I'd rather not reformat the harddrive.

There is literally 20 Gigs of programming stuff on it - Visual basic and C++.

Yeah.. whoa... don't start reformatting things until you know what the problem is.
Has it always been doing this or is this a recent thing? If it always has been doing it, you could have a the power/reset switch connections on your motherboard setup wrong.

In order to check for viruses, update your virus definitions and then reboot into safe-mode. Do a virus scan and report any findings.

It is a very recent thing.

It is a PC that had only been used at work (which had a strong firewall, proxies and a webserver. The webserver not only prevented any programs from being installed over the internet, but it also prohibitted most websites from being opened in the first place).

The PC was moved from work to home (where there is no web server, etc). In TWO DAYS the problem started to occur. So my guess is that its due to spyware. I will investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom