Audio Upgrade with $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
dale5605 said:
I don't think those speakers are as good. For one they are only 70 watts compared to 90 watts so they aren't as powerful if that matters. Also it's 5.1 compared to the creative which is 7.1. And I think the creative subwoofer is supposed to be really good.

Here's an excerpt about it.

"Do you like to inspire people? How about inspiring your friends with such feelings as jealousy, envy, or spite? With the INSPiRE P7800 from Creative you can do just that as your friends are practically blown away with your new 7.1 speaker surround sound system. The P7800 features 7 satellite speakers and a subwoofer for a total of 8 speakers giving you the absolute ultimate in 3D gaming, movies, and music! The 3 front speakers each feature a 3 inch midrange driver to deliver smooth and balanced tones. The subwoofer has a powerful 6.5 inch long-throw woofer to deliver deep clean base. While the INSPiRE P7800 is a 7.1 system designed specifically to work with 7.1 sound cards like the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, the good folks at Creative have thought of it all. You can hook up the P7800 to any 5.1 or 6.1 sound card, and the INSPiRE P7800 will up mix to full 7.1 surround with their proprietary CMSS technology. The included Audio Control Pod (ACP) remote control features controls for power, volume, and base. The ACP also has an integrated headphone jack. So make a difference in your friends, and um possibly angry neighbors, lives and inspire them with the awesomeness of the Creative INSPiRE P7800."
The creative subwoofer SUCKS. I used to have that EXACT speaker system. I found out, that nothing ever uses 7.1, 5.1 is more than enough. It will also be a bit more powerful as it won't have 2 extra speakers to power. Here would be a much nicer setup for his budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121121
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829118106
The Logitech THX Z-5300e 280W 5.1 speakers, and the Turtle Beach CATALINA sound card. Totals out to $190.

It's not real 7.1, just emulated. It would be very hard to tell the difference between 7.1 and 5.1.

well yes in a sense. but if the suround mixer says left channel, right channel, right side channel, blah blah then youve got your 7.1. Im just saying that if you could hear somebody running from the right side then goes behind you and you hear it go from the right side channel through the rear channels that would be awesome. i think the audigy4 does that and it isnt emulated. here agin i dont have one so i wouldnt know.

No, all 7.1 sound cards fully support 7.1. They are not what does the emulating, the game does. No games or DVDs have ever been written to take full advantage of hardware accelerated 7.1 sound. Besides, like I said, those P7800 speakers REALLY SUCK. I used to have them. They badly distort if you turn up the sound real loud, and the subwoofer sounds really muffled.

im not saying the speakers are good and you have hardware mixing that does that for you. not emulated. and any EAX AdvancedHD2 would give you at least 6.1 if i believe.

EAX has nothing to do with channels.

EAX - A hardware and software audio standard developed by Creative Labs. It was originally used in SoundBlaster sound boards, and is supported by other companies as well now. EAX offers 3D positional audio and allows the manipulation of sounds so that they can seem to be heard in different listening environments.

doh. well, im serious, dude. do not get the p7800s. your talking to somebody who has experience with them.

I haven't read everything in this thread since I'm at work and this thing has like 30 replies... but I would recommend an audigy 2 zs and the Logitech z-5300e that I saw someone else recommend. There's a $50 rebate on those right now so they will only cost like $80 after rebate. I just got this setup and it is phenomenal. Only cost me $150 total after $70 in rebates on the speakers and cards.

I wrote up a big review on the 5300e but then my school's internet service logged me off before I was done, so when I hit 'reply' the review was lost. Half an hour down the drain :(. Anyway they are VERY loud and accurate. The sub is very impressive. After about 40hz it's output starts to drop out, but that should be expected on a 6.5" driver. Plus, you won't even notice that usually unless you listen to a lot of bass tracks. WELL worth the money. They rock for both music and movies, and I'd bet they do in gaming too, but I haven't tested that yet.

I saw what you said you wanted further up the thread and these fit the bill perfectly... Might want to check the multimedia section of the forum for stuff like this for future reference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom