Just assembled computer, not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies. I figured it out. You know those little spacer thingies that screw into the case to hold the motherboard up? Well, my case didn't come with them for some reason. It came with a bunch of other screws, but no spacers. So I ended up screwing the motherboard directly to the case without any spacers. This is my first time building a computer, so I didn't know any better. So the motherboard was shorting out I guess.

I took it all apart and put it back together with the spacers and it works fine. And to think I was about to go buy a new power supply. I hope my being retarded didn't hurt anything. Everything seems to work fine.

wow buddy ur freakin lucky that u didnt fry anything, my dad works at a small computer company writing software and they have a technician, some poor guy brought his brand new computer in and did the same thing as u, the technician looked at it and told him the mobo was fried from no spacers. btw y the hell wouldnt ur case come with spacers?

No kidding... maybe it was supposed to come with spacers and they just got lost or something while shipping...

You are friggen lucky though that you didn't fry anything.

I had a case that did not require spacers. It had extruding points to screw the mobo in, but the metal material had like a no-conductive coating/paint on it.

charles_scott said:
Yea check the little wires that go to the board from the power button and reset buttons and make sure there in right....
I had the same problem and someone told me to go over this and try flipping them over as well and if it don't work remmeber to tkae the psu cord to the mobo out in in between each try so do this in steps. 1. take out the main PSU cord from mobo. 2. take the Power panel control wire and flip it over and plug it back in. 3. test. 4. repeat but with reset. 5. take out cord. 6. repeat with both.
Tell me if this works.
-Grimreaper23 :)

Whew, I'm glad nothing fried then. I have no idea why the case didn't come with spacers. I had to go to a computer store for the spacers, and even then they only had 1 pack of 6 left. Odd. They said that if I just use the spacers on the sides and use longer screws in the middle it should be fine, so thats what I did. Is that fine, or should I get more spacers and put them in before I run it anymore?

Isn't building a computer for the first time fun?

It would probably be ok, just be really careful not to overtighten the screws. If it was me, I would probably get more spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom