Need to reformat but many problems doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayes17

Solid State Member
Ok guys
I need to reformat due to the viruses and now alot of messed up installed programs. Some of the problems i am having is that i can;t make any disks. I can make cds. Also i have the xp pro with no service packs. I have tryed the recovery console but it won't work cause the only way i can get to it is from puting windows xp in while windows is still running and acting like i am going to install it again. My zip drives arn't working even though the lights on it just won't read a diskette in it. I need a way to reformat my computer by a cd. The only cd i have is a burned copy so it won't boot up from it. I do not no where the other copy is. I need a way to boot up and erase everything and easy put windows xp back on my computer. I'm not the smartest guy so step by step instuctions would help alot.

Thanks Alot

well because if you have a copy of a operating system then it won't act as a bootable disk even if you do change bois. Also when i put it over the excisting one the files that i don't want are still there and i rather start fresh and put everything in myself. This time with a antivirus program.

more help please

Try setting your cd rom as the primary boot device in your bios and see if that will force it to boot from your windows disk.

Zip

Hayes17 said:
well because if you have a copy of a operating system then it won't act as a bootable disk even if you do change bois. Also when i put it over the excisting one the files that i don't want are still there and i rather start fresh and put everything in myself. This time with a antivirus program.

more help please

not true you can boot a cd-r just fine. you just need to set the CD-ROM in ur bios to the first devise in the boot order, then you should have no problem booting.

It is my understanding that you have to make a Windows CD a bootable CD when you burn it. AFAIF, just setting your CD-ROM to be the first boot device is insufficient. Am I mistaken?

i've never had to do that. i've always backed up my disks by one of two ways. one either making an ISO image of the disk then burning the .iso on a cdr as an image or by just disk to disk copy

well maybe my disk drive does not support boot up disks. I have changed the bois and still it won't reginize anything in the drive.

ok i figured some of it out. the reason that it's not a bootable disk is because it doesn't have the img. file that is hidden in it. you have to use isobuster to get it but i had to download it. now i tryed to put it in when i made a new copy using a guide but it wants to burn as a image file. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom