Norton Antivirus Probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctech86

In Runtime
I just finished fixing three computers with viruses in the last hour. (I'm at work) The funny thing is, the problems they were having sounded just like a virus, however all the customers said they had just scanned it with Norton. We don't use any of the popular programs that most ppl use for AV (don't ask because I can't tell you), and when I was finished fixing these computers (that had just been scanned by norton) I found between 15 and 30 SEPERATE viruses on each machine. So I know a lot of you have a lot of faith in this program but I can tell you that if you are having problems with what looks like a virus and you do a scan and it does NOT fix your problem, then it could still very well be a virus.

It doesn't surprise me, but I doubt you will find many Norton supporters here.

I have been very happy with Trend PC-Illin.

Yeah, what ignited my interest in this subject was after I had heard customers here and people on these forums saying that it can't be a virus because they just ran Norton. :D

I like Norton. It's always worked well for me.

Well, a lot of people whom own Norton Anitvirus aren't very considered about updating their virus definitions/database. They think that all they need is the program and they are safe. They don't realize that the definitions need to be updated on a weekly or even daily basis.

I do a manual update on my machine a few times a week or whenever there are new updates available. I have a hardware firewall and a software firewall. Since i've owned my 2 PC's i haven't had a virus yet. A few small spyware proggies here and there but, i knew they would be installed.

I had a guy I work with say, "I always scan my PC with norton." I said, "ok when was the last time you updated your definitions?"
He said, "What's that?" I've never done that... LOL

And college kids are the WORST with their laptops that mom & dad bought them for college. LOADED with adware, spyware and all kinds of viruses. I've fixed like 5 laptops since this years college semester ended. Good for business, bad for mom and dad's pockets!

Lol most certainly! I do like norton too, I just won't rely on it if something is messed up on a computer AFTER it has been scanned. It is definitely not a bad program

I do a manual update on my machine a few times a week or whenever there are new updates available. I have a hardware firewall and a software firewall. Since i've owned my 2 PC's i haven't had a virus yet. A few small spyware proggies here and there but, i knew they would be installed.
Yes, but if you are scanning with Norton, how do you REALY know you don't have a virus :D

I had Norton for ages. I switched after trying HouseCall on the Trend site. It is a free online virus scan. I ran it right after running Norton, and guess what, it found 3 virus! And, I always updated the definitions.

The other thing with Norton, it could never get rid of a virus. Even if it found something, I always had to remove it mannually.

I finaly made the switch and have been really happy with Trend.

Just remember everyone you like Norton, Norton likes your money. My advice is to use AVG.

yeah go with AVG, i keep my computer clean with it and the best thing its that is free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom