Intel > AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
AMD plans to be in control of a third of the market by next year, and has 50% in the next half decade or so planned I believe

Thats pretty pretentious, dont ya think? More power to them!

The Pentium M technology is exciting after seeing what it is really capable of. The hardest thing for Intel is going to be how to market a chip at 2.5Ghz after already having a 3.8Ghz and making people believe it is faster.

I am really hoping they put out one of the Pentium M core chips out for socket 775 and 925x chipset. I would really rather not upgrade my mobo for a while.

I also don't like the "adapter" thing Asus has rigged up for this to be used in a desktop motherboard.
Yes, that thing sucks, you have very limited BIOS options and cn't even change the voltage. With some volts going to that thing it may hit 3Ghz.

Thus not only do I think that Intel will match AMD in speed for the most part but they will do it using far less watts than the comparable AMD part. No more liquid cooling!!
That's funny because everything I've seen of the latest CPU's including dual cores says exactly opposite of that....not only were the Intels getting stomped, but the AMD was using far less watts producing a way lesser amount of heat........and as far as "no liquid cooling" goes........I don't care how cool a CPU runs I'll always liquid cool it.........that was a pointless and stupid thing to even include in this so called 'article'

m3trj said:
As a company, Intel is better than AMD. This can be seen from the success of the two. Does AMD even have a marketing department? As for who makes the better chip, that is different.

AMD have used public relations as their method of marketing, which gives them far more loyal customers.

dude, we are here debating on what company makes the better chip, we don't care how good Intel is lying to ppl and making them buy their crap. Most ppl on tech forums build their own computers, so we don't need some1 to market chips to us... we're good enough to reach out and get our own! ;) The only thing that pisses me off is that they are so expensive, and ppl buy them because they see the big "GHZ" on the computer box... and same with the ipods, Dell, Geico, and other crap ppl think it's the best just cuz they spend a lot on adverising...

at some point air cooling will be more than enough no matter what.
Doesn't matter....liquid would still always be better than AIR...this of course would change assuming they get processors to the point of simply needing a small passive heatsink that would allow it to run even at Ambient room temps...at that point even air cooling would get it below ambient temp and you'd need condensation protection.......basically that'll never happen. Even if it Idled at ambient temp....on load it'd go above it, thus water cooling would keep it at ambient temp.......of course they'll never produce a CPU that'd be able to do such a thing IMO.

yeah but you're thinking on a completely different scale than I......you're saying "air will be sufficient"......I don't care about whats sufficient.....I want the best cooling I can get (aside from phase change)

Water will always be cooler than air

extra cooling wont be needed.
EXTRA cooling technically isn't needed now....but for those that want the lowest temps possible while increasing the ability to OC....cooler is a must.......we aren't talking about what's sufficient.....my point is the article says "no more liquid cooling" as if that was desperately needed in the first place....liquid cooling will always be around unless CPU's start getting to be no warmer than ambient temps...and even then the load temp will be the thing of concern inwhich water would still be better than air....but I highly doubt CPU's will get to the point of being no hotter than ambient temp.....not anytime soon anyway

Saying that Intel is better than AMD because they advertise is slightly rediculous. I know a guy at school that seriously was willing to bet me that his shabby dell computer was better than my computer (listed in my specs) simply because a professional built his. It was the most rediculous argument ever too, because he got one of those $800 deals. He doesn't even have a graphics card... but he still to this day thinks his computer is better than anyone elses because DELL said so.

you have no idea how many computer techies he pissed off with his argument...

Anyway, the point I am getting at is that it is kind of a marketing ploy. Companies go with Intel for a reason... and that is so they sell their product. Sure, AMD might be better sometimes, but far more people will buy it if it has an intel processor. If they go with Intel, not only computer savvy people will say "hey, that isn't a bad processor for Intel" and buy it, but people that don't know didly-squat will get it because they know the name Intel. If the company goes with AMD, many people won't know what that is, and they may lose some sales.

Heck, even my High School Computer Hardware teacher didn't know what AMD was. All of us computer people had to set him straight on that one...;)

Well, I hate apples. If you take a bite and leave it for 5 minutes, it's gets all brown and nasty. Oh, wait... You're talking about computers?

Nevermind...

been down that road b4...

one guy once told me that his computer would kick mine's ass (this guy is a moron besides computers in general). I rolled my eyes and asked him his specs. he said he didnt know. I walked him through DXDIAG and told him to tell me the next day.

He instead printed it out and showed me. Specs were:

Intel Celeron 766mhz
64MB of RAM
GeForce 2 MX 400

Wonderful isnt it? Amazingly, those specs are a lot like the computer i was still using 2 years ago, except that was a 433mhz celeron and with 16MB of integrated gfx

The bad thing is that you can't argue with people like that either... they just don't understand what you're saying. I end up just getting frustrated and they still have no idea how stupid they sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom