Stupid hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
So I found this, but its stupid because they say right in the comments that 1TB = 1,000,000,000,000. But this is such a lie. WTF.
Yes it says that once its formated that the size will very, but why wouldn't they attempt to compensate for that, I mean, come on.
So I e-mailed them :D and asked them why they would do such a thing. If I'm gonna pay $1000 for a hard drive, it better be a terabyte.
Does anyone know of any hard drive company out there that actually sells a drive that is at its marketed capacity?
-Joe

if you ever formatted any hard drive you will know that the actual space is always less than what it is supposed to be. I am not positive but i believe this might be because while the whole computer would operates on 1024 mb = 1 gb the hard drive manufacturers use 1000 mb = 1 gb. I could be completely wrong but i think this might be the reason this happens. if this is the case than when you format that hard drive you will end up with only 976.5 gb of storage. like i said i am not positive that that is correct, i read something about it a long time ago.

What i would suggest, if you really need 1000 gb is buy 4 250gb hard drives from a known company like western digital, maxtor, or seagate. if you want it all on one partition than maybe use them in a raid setup. what do you need all that storage for?

I dont need it, just thought it was cool. Even getting four 250's still wouldn't give you a TB. My argument is why dont companies compensate you for the space that they are selling.

This has been discussed so many times over the years. The fact of the matter is that they are selling you a terabyte of storage space, but computers see it differently. It is exactly what is advertised.

Joeisalsocool, do you know what your talking about.....1,000,000,0000,000 what???? All you did was list a number. Terabytes are not the same as Gigabytes.. These each have different capacity's.

I think he means 1,000,000,0000,000 bytes. But I know what he means, I hate it when they do that. My buddy has a TB drive, and formatted it was some 962GB. That is a far cry from a full TB! There was a class action lawsuit against Maxtor because of that, but I;m not sure how it worked out. I also remember reading somewhere on this forum there was an equation that a drive maker put out to determine the amount after format, and why it happened. I forget who posted it, but it worked out correctly. If someone could hook it up, that owuld be cool.

Codeine, I kinda figured everyone would know it was bytes, I didn't think anyone was going to get confused.

I'll have to look for that thread, sounds interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom