hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee4me

Baseband Member
Is it possible to put an old harddrive into a 'newer' computer and still have all the data intact that is on the Hard drive ? Thank you

Yes this is

But if their is an operating system on the hard drive, and you try to boot from the hard drive, it will mess up the windows installation on the hard drive.

yes. Just plug in the drive and get your BIOS to detect it...
If this old HDD was used for windows before, then a windows (or linux) computer shopuld be able to acess it.

But if it was a linux drive... windows don't stand a chance

This is how I transfered my files when I upgraded my PC... wasn't a problem :D

Lintal said:
yes. Just plug in the drive and get your BIOS to detect it...
If this old HDD was used for windows before, then a windows (or linux) computer shopuld be able to acess it.

But if it was a linux drive... windows don't stand a chance

This is how I transfered my files when I upgraded my PC... wasn't a problem :D

Windows is on the 'old' hard drive...
Do you mean install the old hard drive as a second hard drive, next to the new one, to transfer the files???

coffee4me said:
Do you mean install the old hard drive as a second hard drive, next to the new one, to transfer the files???

Yes. Once winXP can bood on the new drive, just install the other one as the slave and get the BIOS to recognise it. Then you should be able to pull all the data off it in windows (the one saved on your new drive)

Lintal said:
Yes. Once winXP can bood on the new drive, just install the other one as the slave and get the BIOS to recognise it. Then you should be able to pull all the data off it in windows (the one saved on your new drive)

I have Windows 98SE and Windows Me. Would this work for this process ?
Thank you.

I shouldn't think there would be a problem... in "My Computer" and new storage device should appear, (though I'm not an expert on those OSes, It should work OK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom