Different RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

avireX

Baseband Member
I was wondering weither i can have two different types of RAM in my computer at the same time. I would have 2 x 512mb in the two white slots, and 2 X 256mb in the two black slots. One of my friends said that its ok to try it out as the worst thing that can happen is that your computer goes 'beep beep', one of my other friends however, told me that my computer could totaly break if i were to try it and it didnt work.

It should be fine.

It sounds like you have a mobo that supports dual channel. As long as pair up the sticks (like you plan on doing) then you should be ok.

The only problem you might run into is if your RAM is different speeds (frequencies). Whatever the speed the slower stuff runs at, the rest of the RAM will run at that speed as well.

I think ill just completely replace the RAM then, as my new ones will be 800Mhz and the ones i have currently are 166Mhz.

I can almost guarentee you that your new ones arent 800MHz.

Check the packaging or labels again.

You probably meant that it is 200MHz, (400MHz DDR).

And if you do have 2 different speeds, then just get rid of the slower stuff, and keep the fast stuff.

I would go with 1G. I've been in the same boat as you, and I found that I benchmarked a little better with 1G PC3200 rather than 1.5G PC2700

avireX said:
the worst thing that can happen is that your computer goes 'beep beep', one of my other friends however, told me that my computer could totaly break if i were to try it and it didnt work.

It would be very rare if the wrong DIMMS were put in, but back in the day if you were trying to put in EDO ram that could happen.

ok thanks for your help. Is the TwinMos ram any good for gaming btw?

PS: just realised i posted this in the totaly wrong forum... sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom