HEV suit coming to a closet near you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
[Half Life] suit for those of u that don't know :p..

http://www.jyi.org/news/nb.php?id=171

EDIT: I apologize guys.. The yahoo link seemed too long to be included on this forum. Weird.. Here's an alternative one..

Two other prototypes of the HAL system, HAL 4 and HAL 5, will also be demonstrated at the Expo 2005. Unlike HAL 3, which is designed only to help the user walk, HAL 4 and HAL 5 have an upper exoskeleton to power-assist the arms, and will help the user lift up to 40 kilograms more than they would be able to life unaided. HALs 4 and 5 also eliminate the need for a backpack, instead placing the computer in a pouch attached to the suitÂ’s belt.

:D

Right now its for the handicapped. But, as the quote I included says, it can help u lift "up to 40 kg more" as well. Pretty soon I would imagine stuff like this would be somewhat common in the industry.. Who needs a fork lift, eh? ;)

And even in search and rescue and military :)

I doubt the military will use that for a long while. Have you seen the price tags of the new soldier armor (USA)? Lifting only 40 KG more would not be worth the cost, especially since most fighting soldiers are strong anyway.

Most soldier lifting is in the legs and back. They try to keep the arms free for weapon usage.

Bring'em a gravity gun... maybe that will fly. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom