run a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a type of server that would let you share a operating system throughout the network assuming you bought the licenses, but have individual files on each computer's hard drive such as user documents, or only applications that the user wants to download on the specific computer. Or do you have to run each computer separately with its own os on the hard drive?
Can this be a telnet server or is it an application server, or something else? Thnx for any replys.
Roger

Is there a type of server that would let you share a operating system throughout the network assuming you bought the licenses,

Yes, it is called a Terminal Server that runs on Windows Server 2000/2003.

ut have individual files on each computer's hard drive such as user documents,

Hmmm. I think that you have to have an OS installed on each computer for this. I think this because it is the OS that manages devices, folders and files.

Can this be a telnet server or is it an application server, or something else? Thnx for any replys.

Well, a telnet server is a type of application server. The other part of this question was answered above.

no thats not what i wanna do i just am looking at possible things i could do. i have cable connection but im guessing you need like T1 or T3 or something right?

t1 is bare minimum for a good server

A good server with 1000s of users maybe.

A good server does not need a T1. T1s are kinda pricey and not necessary for every "good" server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom