New Computer (recommendation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordDjinn

Solid State Member
Hello I am a college student at ITT and was wanting some feedback on a system that I am thinking about building.

I have been putting a computer parts list together for some time now. I came up with a computer that cost $2,053 US dollors. The computer is going to be used for just about everything.

Here is the computer parts list:

CPU - P4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, HT - Retail

Motherboard - Gigabyte 875P "GA-8KNXP" -RETAIL

RAM - Geil Golden Dragon Dual Channel 256MBx2 DDR PC-3200

Soundcard - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI

Videocard - ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB DDR DVI+TV

Case - LinkWorld Black/Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case 400W

Harddrive(Master) - Seagate 120GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive

Floppydrive- SONY MPF920 Black 1.44MB 3.5INCH Floppy Disk Drive

CD-RW - Lite On LTR-52327S Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive

DVD-RW - Sony DW-U14A Black DVD+/-RW

TV Tuner - Prolink PixelView Play TV pro PCI MODEL TV-BT878P+

IDE Controller - HighPoint Controller Card RocketRaid133 Retail

Harddrive - (4x)MAXTOR 160GB 7200RPM IDE HARD DRIVE

Keybaord - Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel
Mouse

Speakers - Logitech Z640 5.1 Speaker

Headphones - KOSS QZ-99 Technology Headphones

Moniter/TV - 31" SONYO TV w/s-video out/in

that is gonna be one hell of a system you got there. if i can make one suggestions, i say go with 2, 512MB DDR ram instead of 256, it will make the world of a diffrence. also, about the DVD-RW, i suggest you dont buy one, this is still a new technology, and is wayy too over priced for the speed and durability u r getting, give it a year or so, and you will be able to get a much better one for the same cost.

The reason that I picked P4 instead of an AMD XP is bc of the fact that AMD heat faster

Radeon 9600

You seriously consider going with the new Radeon 9600XT instead, its a little more money but you get Half Life 2 with it for free which theoretically brings the price down to around 150 dollars. You get 100 mhz more clock speed and with the new catalyst you will have the overdrive feature that will overclock the card under warrenty. With the overclock on top of the already 100 mhz boost you are looking at a pretty decent difference in performance. If this computer is going to be used for everything and if you were planning on buying HL2 in the first place then its totally worth it. Just something to think about.

i think you went for overkill. that is way too expensive for what it does. i do not recommend sony dvd burners they have serious compatabilty issues. i litterally have a computer that does all that for a thrid of the cost.

and i should also mention it is very tragic and ironic that you spend all this money just to be cheap at the end and use a 31" tv as the display and you have chosen to risk all of your hardware to a P.O.S. bundled power supply, not very wise.

I have the HP dvd writer... If you are going to use it for profit (not illegally..as in video editing projects and such), I would definitely recommend buying it.

A lot of that stuff can be found brand new on eBay for a lot less, too.

isnt 4 hdd 160 gig drive 'overkill', but, on the toehr hand, if ur board has 2 raid channels, well, whens the party?..................

well even tho its a good pc that is too much in price i think,

i would go with 2 512 instead of 2 256 for ddr and amd might heat faster but is also faster than a p4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom