Hard Drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

collegeTechie

Beta member
I have a new hard drive with 120 GB. I want to keep my old hard drive and all the files on my old hard drive and THEN install my new hard drive so that I can shutdown my system and restart separatly on my new hard drive. I want them separate so the kids have my old hard drive and can't touch my new hard drive to mess it up.

I have Windows 2000 which I would also install on the new hard drive.

I have a Pentium II NEC computer with 640 MB of RAM. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

install the new drive as secondary. there are to ways, depending on what motherboard you have got. what you want is to have one Operating system, use the same OS as you have now just make a new account for the kids and limit their access to the new harddrive. så plug it in and set the jumpersettings on the back to slave or plug it in with a new IDE cable to the secondary port on the motherboard. either way you now should go into win and quick format the new disk and make the patitions that tou want.

yeah, dont bother with installing 2 operating system on each diask, just use the original disk for the OS, and instal the new one as a secondary only for your file, and limit the access to it.

This may be a bit off topic, but its a HDD problem so maybe u can help. I got an 80gig maxtor d+9 in my comp, but i decided to have a go at a raid array, but since the board i was using(DFI LAMEparty if u must know) was useless i ditched it, then i got th a7v8x-x which is a buet of a mobo. I put the second drive in, and instaled XP Pro. Now, during the installation, it showed the new drive to be 32gb and allooweed me to format it, so i did slightly peeved of courese, now when it comes to windows i doesnt see the drive at all, i went into disk management and that didnt give any clues so now im at a loss. help plz

Ta

yes that is offtopic, you should have posted another topic. you should partition and format through winxp disk management. you only saw 32GB because either you are using FAT32 which supports volumes up to 32GB. format using NTFS next time.

XP/2000 FAT32 Formatting Limit
"While the FAT32 file system can support drives up to a standard theoretical size of 2 terabytes, (it 'can' be jury-rigged under Windows Millennium Edition to support partitions of up to 8 TB). Windows 2000 Professional and XP Professional cannot FORMAT a volume larger than 32 GB in size using their native FAT32 file system.

"The FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system, such as those created locally by Windows 98 or ME in dual boot configuration, (subject to other limits listed here for Windows 98, ME and 2000 and here for Windows XP), but you cannot CREATE one using the Format tool from within either Windows 2000 Professional or XP Professional. If you attempt to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32 GB, the format fails near the end of the process with the following error message:

Logical Disk Manager: Volume size too big."

MC MCSE: Windows XP Professional File Systems Overview

This behavior is by design, as Microsoft recommends using the NTFS file system for partitions greater than 32GB. One reason for this is: as a FAT32 partition goes beyond 32GB, the cluster size that is used jumps from 16K to 32K, thus "wasting" much more drive space. (See the FAT16 page for more about wasted cluster space.)

However, as Windows 2000 or Windows XP fully supports using a FAT32 partition over 32GB, and only does not permit formatting a FAT drive over 32GB, it may be possible to use a Windows 98 boot diskette to get a larger FAT partition formatted. Just be extremely careful that the correct partition is formatted when booting from a diskette.

this info was found here:
http://www.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT32.htm

hmm, i did use ntfs, but in a previus install of xp i used fat32, well a firend did, but i was so lean i didnt really care, wont be doing that near my comp anytime soon >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom