Building a PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdude425

Member (again)
It seems that I will be building a new PC in the near future for some friends. They want it done for around $700-$800. Can you help me?

Here's the catch: this thing is going to be used primarily as an office computer. They want as much power as possible, since they are occasionally going to be doing some lightweight software developing and using it as a temporary server. So, if you tell me to go get some expensive vid card so they can play HL2, think again.

Thanks!

No reason to spend $90 on a plain case for this build. You could get any number of solid cases for $50.

Also, DFI Lanparty is a great board, but probably much more than they need in this instance. They could save another $36 by ordering this DFI instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136160

Also, newegg is currently bundling DFI's with AMD64 processors for a bit of a discount. You could get that same AMD64 3200+ Venice for $181.99, or even save another $44.50 and order the 3000+ Venice instead for $137.49. Hardly a difference between the two chips.

With the money you save on the case and the MOBO, you could upgrade the video card to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

I know they don't want to spend a lot on a video card, but the extra $64 between the 6600GT and the 6200 is well worth it if they do decide to start playing any new games in the future. Certainly better than spending extra money on a case.

Well, I am the only one to have suggested anything so far, and it is within his price range... There is NO need for a 6600GT, lol.

"if you tell me to go get some expensive vid card so they can play HL2, think again." In my opinion, if you can afford the better parts, such as the mobo and case, get it. Remember, he did say they want as much power as possible, since they are occasionally going to be doing some lightweight software developing and using it as a temporary server, and CPU and mobo will make a bigger preformance gain with that kind of stuff rather than a video card.

An office computer should be intel, dont you guys think?

1.5 GHz P4 -- $50
512MB Value RAM -- $40
Cheapest 478 motherboard out there -- ~$40
32MB or less VGA card (yes these still work ppl) -- $15
Boring white case that comes with a PSU -- $20
Envision flat screen monitor -- $120
Floppy, keyboard, mouse, cd-rw -- $45
Total: ~$330

I used to have something like this that ran a server quite well, you really dont need mega processing power for that stuff.
-Joe

P.S. These are mostly eBay prices. Then again, thats usually where I buy from, unless its exotic.

Not sure what is better for compiling programs.. Intel or AMD.. You know what, it doesn't really matter. Get AMD b/c its probably cheaper.. Simple as that..

And you don't need any of these 6600 GT/6200 vid cards. I can compile programs fine on a computer I have with an integrated vid solution. ;)

Just get a cheap AGP card with a cheap AGP mobo. If you don't abuse the computer, it will last u a very long time.. Doesn't really matter what the brand is.. My Pentium 200 MMX is still running at my parents house 24/7.. Guess when I built it ;)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom