Gaming PC vs Next Generation Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I"ve been reading a lot of reviews on the next generation consoles (Xbox 360 & PS3). Now, most of this stuff I know has to be "He said/She said, media hyped, fluff it up, marketing crap." But, it seems like even game developers for the NGC's are saying that these games will look and perform a lot better then on PC Game machines with 6800 ultras. Now, I know that PC games and Console games are completely different but, they must create all of these games on PC's, NO?

If these two NGC's are using the soon to be G70's and R520's as GPU cores, and a lot of games will be using the Unreal 3 Engine... Aren't these things that hardcore PC gamers lust for?

If these aligations come to be true with the NGC's, what impact do you think this will have on PC gamers? If you can buy a NGC for $300-$500 and get a better gaming experience then you could spending $500.00 for a top video card, another $200 for some fast ram and another $250-$1000 for a CPU? It's been almost implied that the NGC's will be better then 85-90% of all current gaming PC's. I don't know?

I've also read that the cost of these new games will be 10 to 15% more per game, due to the higher cost of production. And the final issue at hand also is, to take full advantage to the NGC's potential you "NEED" to have a HDTV. <---- Very, Very Expensive compared to the cost of the Consoles themselves...

What's everyones thoughts?

It should be interesting to see some "Real" game demos and not some real-time rendering fluff. Did you see the Killzone 2 trailer? Please are they blowing smoke up our arses?

Hehehe, some of these 'next gen game' trailers ARE such a farce. I can almost hear them saying:

"And this is what we rendered in Max.........."

Pfff, I won't believe anything about consoles being better for gaming until I see it for myself, no matter what anyone says.

HAVOC2k5 said:
It should be interesting to see some "Real" game demos and not some real-time rendering fluff. Did you see the Killzone 2 trailer? Please are they blowing smoke up our arses?

When the orginal Xbox and Play Station 2 were released I thought that graphics couldn't get any better. Shortly thereafter the PC blew away the consoles with the Radeon 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro. Just give the PC some time, than you'll see that its a MUCH better gaming platform. have you seen a console do an RTS? a half-decent flight sim? a half-decent FPS? no. consoles are only good for sports games and racing games. I don't want auto-aim, because I got a keyboard and mouse-much more accurate than a tiny-ass PS2 controller. and if you think that sports games suck on a PC, just play it with a logitech controller. BAM! you just turned your PC into a console-like system because of the controller and you get better IQ, and you can do more on a PC than a console. Can consoles be upgraded when they start sucking? no.

Simply put, just wait for the PC to make leaps and bounds over the Xbox360 and PS3.

I think a next gen gaming PC with 2 or 4 R520's in crossfire should brutally gang rape these "next gen consoles", but thats just my opinion, and opinions are like assholes... everybody has one and they all stink.

Few things to point out here about the 10meg of vid. 10mb is EMBEDDED memory in the video-card...this means that anisotropic or antialiasing won't have slowdowns. The 512 GDDR3 memory is for graphics as well, remember the 10meg is embedded. Also, a VERY importantt thing is the GPU having 48 pipelines (damn, thats alot), and having full L2 access. This will make it a monster, throw in the 3 processors each having 2 seperate L1 cache (one for data and one for instruction) and that is why it will out perform modern PC's. It is also upgradeable to an extent via the top expansion. As far as I know the upgrades that are available are not JUST hard drives, but there is a slot for memory AND processor upgrades. The only upgrade info I haven't seen is for the GPU. So it'll keep up for awhile. Also, much of this architecture isn't new. Its a bastardized form, all be it more powerful form, of the powerPC/MAC. So what you'll probably be seeing soon in the PC sector to catch up is a rise in the popularity of not just multi threaded, but multi-die processor cores, direct L2 to GPU read/write instructions, dual L1 thread for each of the processors (XBox360 has 6 pipelines for the CPU and 48 for the GPU).

Uh no it dosnt have 48 pipelines, it has 24 with 8 "emulated" pipes.

heres the wonderful thing...

For consoles to be sold, they must be CHEAP. And they must have the promise of being the best consoles out there for some time (2-4 years).

So computers have about 3-4 years to catch up... and not only that, but get better. Computers have the advanatge of being modular... so they can become progressively better as time goes on, without a total replacement.

So, consoles are stuck with what they start with, while computer are sonstantly getting better.

^_^ And can a PS3 play my original tertis game? No... but my PC can play the old dooms.

Bite me consoles!

so would it be safe to say that their processors are intel, since they have 2 vectors, wouldn't that be like "HT technology" crap??

and how is their RAM so fast??? dang, especially the PS3, has DDR4000 ram, dam!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom