Whats The Best.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol your right....damn i saw that post you started about oc'ing in windows i got a stock mobo which i just took out my computer yesterday...but don't know the brand...i have a compaq is their anyway of finding out or do i just have to go inside again?

Are you going to overclcok it? I would advise AGAINST that for a Compaq. Prebuilt machines do everything they possibly can to keep you from OCing them.

It's not that your gonna fudge that up, it's just that you wont be able to do anything with it. I imagine you could overclock it in Windows, but thatsz not avisable even on a highly overclockable system, so I think that would do some damage. Per your suggestion, wait until you have a nbew computer to start destroying your old one. ;)

actually, the DFI board has 2 regular PCI slots and 6 USB 2.0 ports

I would suggest the Athlon 64 3200+ or 3000+ Venice - they are both the same core but at different clock speed. they both overclock to the same maximum speed. take that into consideration if you are overclocking

the Nvidia 6600 GT is a very good card for the money. $170 and it can play Doom 3 at high settings
otherwise the 6800 GT is even better (although more expensive, about $350) and very future proof

do NOT get a low quality PSU. PSU's are very important. if it is not very good, it can take out the entire system
OCZ, Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax and Cooler Master make good PSU's. you'll want at least 450W and look for the rails (+12v, +5v and +3.3v). it should have at least 20 Amps on the +12v, and at least about 15-20 on the +5v for good power flow.

also, for RAM, G.Skill is the best for overclocking. if you can afford it, get 2x512MB of it.
otherwise OCZ makes very good RAM. don't get Corsair.

A good determining factor on whether or not the PSU is cheap is if it has a -5v rail. I know it's not official, and the new cheap ones prolly will have that, but it is a good thing to look out for to narrow down the playing field. That is one of those things that, if it dosent have it, then you immediately should know not to get that one. If it does have it, then you should consider it and count it out on other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom