Video Card overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CPU is quite fine. My CPU only gets to about 105 F, this comes from the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS, and the SiSoft Sandra. I used stock heat sink and fan with the CPU, and some AC5 as well.

UPDATE: I used my old video card, a 9000 Radeon. It lasts longer, but instead of getting an extremely distorted screen (Like when you plug in an old school nintendo game, and it didn't work right) it just restarts the comp. However, after several restarts, i started getting the F'ed up screen with that old card too. BUT THE CARD IS NOT HOT, ITS HARDLY WARM!!!!!!!

When I try the 9800SE, its very hot, burns if you keep your hand on it too long. I dont get it. However, I got an error from microsoft saying I had an ATI driver problem, with both cards.

I deleted the old drivers and installed new ones, didn't help. I tried using older drivers. 5.1 Catalyst, didn't help.

Finally, I tried doing a system restore. NONE of my system restore points work. What the **** happened here? It keeps saying restoration incomplete after the computer restarts....

003 said:
Hmm, I think I may have a similar problem. I play UT2004 a lot, and just recently, the game will freeze up for about 10 REAL seconds, and when it unfreezes, it looks like this:
fubar1rs.jpg

Is that overheating or some kind of glitch? It happens very seldomly, but when it does happen, it will not go away until I restart the PC.

I have that problem with counter strike as well

It used to happen with my Radeon 9600, I had to downclock it a lil and seems to work. The funny thing is, I never even OCed it, and imo its the problem of the ATI cards, cuz when I had nvidia it never happened.

Rouen said:
BUT THE CARD IS NOT HOT, ITS HARDLY WARM!!!!!!!
Same here. I can touch an hold my finger or hand on the COPPER HEATSINK on my video card WITH AS5 and not burn myself at all. The heatsink on the video car is actually cooler than the one on the CPU.

New update.

ok, i put the 9800SE in the computer, deleted all ATI software, and reinstalled VGA drivers, and Catalyst 5.1

I restored CS and Windows to their default settings of 1024x768. It works

Now instead of the video card going to crap, CS just flat out freezes for a while, then its ok again. However, programs are now taking an extremely long time to load. And CS freezes during that time. That is not normal. I also noticed something too... this is weird

I noticed that every time, about a second and a half before the screen freezes, I hear a click, or a tap of some kind, from the computer tower. The sound occurs, then the busy light is a steady amber while the computer is frozen. Busy light is off as soon as the computer is running again. I've run virus scans and active scan, my computer is clean. Also, when I'm saving a program, and the computer freezes like that, the saved file because corrupt, even after its unfrozen. Help lol. I'm about to take this thing to a shop

I had a very similar problem when I had my radeon 9800pro. At first it worked fine, but after a week or so it went to crap and the screen looked way worse than 003's. I don't know if it's an ATI problem or what, maybe the whole 9 series gpu's are fked up. I bought myself an eVGA 6600gt, and it works like a charm. You should try to reformat if nothing else will work, that always tends to heal the worst problems, then if that doesn't work buy urself a midrange card like the 6600gt, because the next generation cards are going to be released soon and it would be a waste to spend that much money when the prices will drop so soon. After the next-gen cards are released, the 6800gt should be much much cheaper.

I already ordered the eVGA 6800GT lol

I think the problem lies with my power supply. I watched my hardware monitor, in the BIOS, and noticed the 5V and 12V kept falling into the red, 5V idles at 4.5V and 12V idles at about 11V. They are getting too low. I might try another outlet and see what happens.

I noticed that every time, about a second and a half before the screen freezes, I hear a click, or a tap of some kind, from the computer tower. The sound occurs, then the busy light is a steady amber while the computer is frozen. Busy light is off as soon as the computer is running again. I've run virus scans and active scan, my computer is clean. Also, when I'm saving a program, and the computer freezes like that, the saved file because corrupt, even after its unfrozen. Help lol. I'm about to take this thing to a shop

This happened on a very old computer i had. What the sound was, the HDD shutting off, and then turning back on again. because the molex connector it was using was faulty.

all i did was switch the molex power connector that the CDrom was using with the HDD... cause i didnt use CDrom. Problem fixed.

That would deffinatly cuase probs... If its not your entire PSU, try first switching the molex connector that the HDD usess and see what happens... unless your rails still fluctuat into the red.

I solved the problem by purchasing a new CPU. The voltage read in the BIOS is very good. 5V reads at about 5.4. 12V reads at about 12.5. VCORE and 3V are good. Computer runs good now! :)

New question. I got the eVGA 6800GT already. I put the card in, turn on the comp, my screen flashes, then stays black. What happened?

You mean you bought a new PSU?

Switching from ATI to nVidia can cause some problems with driver conflicts. Best thing to do is reformat. If you REALY don't want to, there are some programs that claim to sweep the computer clean of all files and reg entries associated with the old drivers. I can't think of the name off hand but try searching for it. You will want to run such a program and then reinstall the nVidia drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom