MSI G4MX440-T8X Dual Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

mychen401

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am currently using a MSI G4MX440-T8X 64MB graphics card. I've a second monitor, and would like to setup my computer for dual display.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=G4MX440-T8X&class=vga

"Dual CRTC/Simultaneous Dual Display(same or different surfaces)" was what was listed on the website. MSI's support site

Could someone please advise on how I could setup dual display? If I added in a 16MB PCI video card, I'd just end up having 2 screens showing the same thing right?

So you're only 2% sure about this?

What's the worse thing that could happen if I gave it a try and it didn't work?

Help please!

It depends on your BIOS. If your able to get in and turn on the the PCI video option without disabling the AGP slot, you should be able to run two displays. they would show two seperate things if that is what you wanted...

The worst thing that could happen is that it just wouldn't work.

Some specs on your computer would help... :)

Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2, 512MB DDR RAM

1 AGP slot - which is being occupied by the VDO card.

A couple free PCIs.

hercules - how would I go into BIOS to change that so both AGP and PCI slots would both be accepted/read?

also, does IRQ value concern anything here?

(I have not a clue how to adjust the IRQ values)

don't worry about the IRQ values, it is my understanding that they don't have any effect for your dual monitor application. once you get it up and running then you'll be able to see if there are any conflicts. you can resolve them then if necessary.

It looks like you have a reasonably new Mobo, i would look for a "video" option within the BIOS. To get into the BIOS, press F1 or delete button when the computer boots up. I really can't tell you exactly where to go, so you'll have to go by trial and error. Make an change, reboot and see if it works. if it gets to the point where you are unable to reboot just reset the CMOS by removing the mobo battery or by pressing the CMOS reset button on the Mobo.

Good luck, and let us know your progress... :)

OK progress update:

Last night, I inserted the PCI video card into the mobo and booted up, running Win2KPro.

First monitor is LCD. (AGP video card)
Second monitor is CRT. (PCI video card)

The CRT first showed some progress - but halted as soon as the startup window (blue progress bar indicating % completion of booting process).

The remaining boot-up was successful - but changed over the LCD. When boot-up completed, CRT still showed the same screen (booting progress), but LCD was perfectly fine.

go into the desktop properties does it show 2 monitors? If so pick the second one and check the box "extend my desktop onto this monitor" click ok and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom