dodgy dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full Version now

The trial version of WinDVD got me running again. One bad thing about the trial version is that it will only play 5 minutes of a DVD. So I had to get the full version. Now DVD's playing great!

Also, I don't know why, but the DVD's that had PC Friendly on it does not ask to install that now. It used to always come up when playing a DVD. Would WinDVD keep it from popping up?

Wonder if WinDVD helped Boris?

Attachments

• 267.png
    267.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Full Version now

The trial version of WinDVD got me running again. One bad thing about the trial version is that it will only play 5 minutes of a DVD. So I had to get the full version. Now DVD's playing great!

Also, I don't know why, but the DVD's that had PC Friendly on it does not ask to install that now. It used to always come up when playing a DVD. Would WinDVD keep it from popping up?

Wonder if WinDVD helped Boris?

no luck

Hi again,sorry for delay in replying,aint had much time lately for dvd drive,been messing with cooling inside. I got win dvd... No luck still,it just keeps skipping thought the cd-r's now work. ATi's dvd player as well as power dvd,and PC Friendly all wont get it to work. I been round the back of the dvd drive and have checked all is plugged in correctly and it is all firmly in. Stupid drive :'( I am doing an upgrade later in the year i think. I can do without one til then. I will prob go for either a CDRW and DVD in one unit or just buy A nice decent dvd drive on its own and keep my existing CDRW. Thanks for the help,it seems my drive still doesnt work even with win dvd :(

no luck

Hi again,sorry for delay in replying,aint had much time lately for dvd drive,been messing with cooling inside. I got win dvd... No luck still,it just keeps skipping thought the cd-r's now work. ATi's dvd player as well as power dvd,and PC Friendly all wont get it to work. I been round the back of the dvd drive and have checked all is plugged in correctly and it is all firmly in. Stupid drive :'( I am doing an upgrade later in the year i think. I can do without one til then. I will prob go for either a CDRW and DVD in one unit or just buy A nice decent dvd drive on its own and keep my existing CDRW. Thanks for the help,it seems my drive still doesnt work even with win dvd :(

My toshiba DVD rom also does not respond to DVDs.
It used to when we first got it but for the last 12 months it just doesn't work. It still works with data cd's and music cd's!!

g_moir said:
My toshiba DVD rom also does not respond to DVDs.
It used to when we first got it but for the last 12 months it just doesn't work. It still works with data cd's and music cd's!!

Have you tryed a few different types of DVD software? Also what OS are you using?

Cheers

Sorry for delay....no time lately.
Yep, tried all the software and still no luck. I am running Win 98 SE on a pentium 2 266Mhz. I don't know why it would make a difference if it used to work.:( STUPID DRIVE:(

g_moir when it stopped working around that time had you added anything new to your computer such as new software, hardware or even a game?

Cheers

No, i hadn't added anything, it was just working one day...and not the next.
In the device manager it says that there are no drivers accosiated with it but if i reinstall the drivers from the cd or a newer one from the internet, it stuffs up my computer. It messes up the desplay so it canot go above 480 x 680 and very little if any programs start. I couldn't use the computer until i rang up my friend (technision) and i basicaly had to reinstall windows!!

g_moir said:
No, i hadn't added anything, it was just working one day...and not the next.
In the device manager it says that there are no drivers accosiated with it but if i reinstall the drivers from the cd or a newer one from the internet, it stuffs up my computer. It messes up the desplay so it canot go above 480 x 680 and very little if any programs start. I couldn't use the computer until i rang up my friend (technision) and i basicaly had to reinstall windows!!

In device manager, check to see if DMA is enabled on the DVD. I know some of the older ones do not support this mode, so it could have been the change from your old configuration that made the drive just stop responding to DVDs.

Outside of that, I'd suggest trying to swap the drive with a known good one (from a friends computer or something) and seeing if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom