Building Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I guess it would be more simple to just oc my graphics card rather than the whole cpu?

I kinda would like overclocking the cpu but I don't wanna take a chance of overclocking the bandwidth of the pci-e slots that i'll have. I can hold off on that until I have experience in ocing. When you were talkin about ocing the cpu you mentioned "adjusting your multiplier". I assume that that has to do with a few pages back when you were explaining this stuff to me. So going back to that, I would have to get software to change my multiplyer, or cpu to RAM communication speed. I'm going to attempt to put this knowledge to use.

The DFI board that I'm getting says it has a FSB of 1000mhz. I'm guessing the multiplyer is 10....100x10. So I would make the pci-e slots independant first. Then I would increase the 100 number to 200 and make the multiplyer five? So, did I do that right?

Okay, so just for now, lets say I was right. I have now oced my cpu to RAM communication. Now I use the program to oc my video card. I increase my core speed and memory until I see "artifacts".

I assume that those are the two things you can oc. So ocing brings faster cpu to RAM communication and faster video card processing. Sounds pretty good to me.

When talking about cooling, I think I'll get a heatsink fan. Do I put that on the athlon 64 chip like what I see in my computer that I am using now? And if I get an Arctic fan for the video card do I set that on top of the video card or do I set these fans on the case walls?

dude, almost all of the questions you have had so far i have had also and have found the best detailed answers within minutes on OTHER threads! You should use this concept that seems new to you.
Here is some good info about ocing...
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=22031

here is some good info about fan placements....
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=56495

Shall i go on? Or do you think you can be a big boy and do it yourself?

*you think I'm kidding but, I'm NOT!!!*

Guess what...I don't give a shit what you think!!;)
*You think I'm kiddin but, I'm NOT!!!!*

If apokalipse is willing to answer my questions like he is then why should I go searching this whole place? I shouldn't...that's the answer. If you didn't notice, me and him are pretty much the only ones replying in MY thread now in order to do the easy disscusions with simple replys. No forgettin to check our personal messages...just a simple look at my thread. If it's pissing you off that I'm askin so many questions then go look at other threads and stop reading mine. I created this thread to get my questions answered. Yeah it's a bit off topic sometimes but I don't care!! It's easier than searchin the whole site. If apokalipse is gettin annoyed I am pretty sure he would tell me and then I'll go search for the answers. But as far as your pointless reply...I don't care!!!!

*and by the way...I know you'l probably want to argue this one out but as I said...I don't give a sh** , so it's pointless.*

Nirvana89 said:
so I guess it would be more simple to just oc my graphics card rather than the whole cpu?

I kinda would like overclocking the cpu but I don't wanna take a chance of overclocking the bandwidth of the pci-e slots that i'll have. I can hold off on that until I have experience in ocing. When you were talkin about ocing the cpu you mentioned "adjusting your multiplier". I assume that that has to do with a few pages back when you were explaining this stuff to me. So going back to that, I would have to get software to change my multiplyer, or cpu to RAM communication speed. I'm going to attempt to put this knowledge to use.

The DFI board that I'm getting says it has a FSB of 1000mhz. I'm guessing the multiplyer is 10....100x10. So I would make the pci-e slots independant first. Then I would increase the 100 number to 200 and make the multiplyer five? So, did I do that right?

Okay, so just for now, lets say I was right. I have now oced my cpu to RAM communication. Now I use the program to oc my video card. I increase my core speed and memory until I see "artifacts".

I assume that those are the two things you can oc. So ocing brings faster cpu to RAM communication and faster video card processing. Sounds pretty good to me.

When talking about cooling, I think I'll get a heatsink fan. Do I put that on the athlon 64 chip like what I see in my computer that I am using now? And if I get an Arctic fan for the video card do I set that on top of the video card or do I set these fans on the case walls?
a lot of boards do not in fact have the ratio of expansion slots:FSB/HTT. in fact I doubt most boards do, however there are some that do. I doubt the DFI Lanparty is one of them that do.

when overclocking your CPU, try and find the limit of your core speed (let's say 2.8GHZ) which can have a FSB/HTT of 280MHZ and a multiplier of 10
what you do next is lower your multiplier, and increase the FSB/HTT accordingly to match the core speed limit, which will give you a higher memory bandwith with that core speed.
let's say you can get your memory to 350MHZ (or DDR700, which is a pretty insane speed) you can have youre multiplier at 8, so that 350x8=2800MHZ
then you will have a memory transfer speed of 350MHZ (or DDR700) and a core speed of 2.8GHZ.

DFI says its board has a HTT of 1000. the total communication speed of the CPU is 2000MHZ, reserving 1000MHZ to communicate with expansion cards and such via the southbridge, and 1000MHZ for the northbridge and memory - systems before A64 used memory via the northbridge, but now it doesn't do much. although I think it still has a few small roles, otherwise they would have just removed it

to find the limit of your CPU, basically, you overclock it until you get errors, or the system crashes. your CPU will far more readily crash the system than actually cause physical damage. there's about a 100000:1 chance of it crashing, rather than causing physical damage.
plus, a lot of motherboards shut down the system when the CPU gets hot

along with that, overclock your GPU (core and mem) until you see artifacts, and now your system can just pump out fps (frames per second) like there's no tomorrow. you can also set higher details for nicer graphics

and pookyman is right. there's no need to get a PCI sound card, as the DFI's onboard 8-channel (7.1) sound card does a damn good job

Nirvana89 said:
Guess what...I don't give a shit what you think!!;)
*You think I'm kiddin but, I'm NOT!!!!*

If apokalipse is willing to answer my questions like he is then why should I go searching this whole place? I shouldn't...that's the answer. If you didn't notice, me and him are pretty much the only ones replying in MY thread now in order to do the easy disscusions with simple replys. No forgettin to check our personal messages...just a simple look at my thread. If it's pissing you off that I'm askin so many questions then go look at other threads and stop reading mine. I created this thread to get my questions answered. Yeah it's a bit off topic sometimes but I don't care!! It's easier than searchin the whole site. If apokalipse is gettin annoyed I am pretty sure he would tell me and then I'll go search for the answers. But as far as your pointless reply...I don't care!!!!

*and by the way...I know you'l probably want to argue this one out but as I said...I don't give a sh** , so it's pointless.*

I noticed that you had to edit that one..hmmm...must have takin you days to come up with that beautifully written poetic slap in the face!! Am i right!?
First of all i am pissed of at your asking already answered questions. And i wont stop reading them and getting pissed off because i like to piss you off and at the same time teach you a lesson no matter how insignificant it may seem but a lesson non the less.
Maily what im getting at is you are in fact making it harder on yourself by asking these questions when they are already asked and answered a hundred time over!
You say it's easier to do it this way when it most definatly is not!!!
First of all, a good majority of the questions you have been asking have also been adressed on the FIRST page of the Overclocking, PC Building & Case Mod section!
You know what this means?? Ofcourse you dont! This means that all you have to do when you have a question is click on the overclocking section and then find the thread you want on the first page and view the answers to your questions. If it so happens to be on the second or third page then, oh no!! that means you have to click that mouse one or two more times!! Shit!! thats hard work let me tell ya. And then you have to read the threads which knowing you is something you still cant do quite well!;) jk
So lets see which is easier, clicking the mouse a few times to find your answers or....
Starting a thread that you check every day and that you spend at least 2-8 mins asking and maybe even developing your questions and typing them up. And then waiting hours, or even days for the replys to these questions that again, ARE ALREADY ANSWERED.
Now i know you took some advanced math classes but im begining to think that you forgot how to add. In fact you should bring your grandma to the computer right now to help you with that.
Whataya have to say fo yo pathetic self now suka!!??:p

apokalipse said:
with a SCSI card, you also need a SCSI controller. I also considered buying a SCSI drive once, but I saw the prices of the controllers. they ain't cheap.

So are you sayin SCSI is a waste? And where have you seen them for sale because i had trouble finding them at ebay even though i did find a Fujitsu MAU3073NC 73GB 15,000 RPM 8MB Cache SCSI Ultra320 80pin Hard Drive for $440 at new egg.
But the controllers at ebay were cheap.

Controllers arn't bad compared to the drives themselves. I am in love with SCSI's and I'm in love with money... ironic how I don't have any of either...

As I said before Arnold, I don't give a sh** so I'm not reading your posts. Go somewhere else and piss ppl off. If you didn't notice they are still replying.

On to the important things. I did read that ocing makes the lifespan of the parts much shorter. Yet, I was told that it's prety much safe and everyone looks at it as a good thing. In a few years (hopefully if the parts aren't shot) I might need to update the graphics if the technology is still increasing as much as it is. I want to be able to buy a ( by then really cheap) 6800gt and have dual. That seams much more logical to me than buying another $400 dollar card or so. If I oc my graphics card, and don't screw it up some how, will it last to buy another to help it out?

i didnt say that people wouldnt or shouldnt reply to you, im just saying you are wasting your time and their time by asking/waiting/replying/answering/etc. but what the hell. I give up. It's your time and not mine. You can waste it all to hell for all i care. Thanx for your appreciation of my suggestions.

And by the way...F**K you too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom