Overclocked Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
I was walking around in Best Buy today, and I saw some graphics cards. I noticed that one card (6800GT) made by BFG was a little over $400. I was wondering why it was so much money and then I saw that it said "overclocked." Now, I know what overclocking is, but I was a little bit confused why it said it on the box, so I asked somebody. Apparently, the company overclocked it already, which is what I thought, but it just seemed weird to me. Did anybody else realize that companies are overclocking cards, putting them in a box, and putting them in a box while they jack up the price!?

To me, it seems like nothing more than a service fee.

BFG are widely known for this little marketing ploy.......it comes OC'd 20MHz on the core, meaning instead of 350MHz for a 6800GT theirs will be 370MHz......big freakin whoop, there's not a card out there that won't do that jump in one step and you're paying for their minimal half assed OC

they also overclock better in general. I have a bfg 6600gt OC and it is WAY over stock clock and cooled well also.

they don't OC better in general, Leadtek and eVGAs will go just as high, but leadtek has overall the best stock cooler.

lol, well don't get me wrong they WILL OC nicely, I'm just saying that they don't like stand out above the rest with ridiculous OC's or anything....leadteks 6600GT's are really known for being awesome OC'ers with stock coolers as well....eVGA is pretty good, but their stock cooler stinks (I had a 6600GT before moving to the 6800GT :p mine as AGP though)

Yeah eVGA, Leadtek and XFX still hold the overclocking titles :)

You find BFG in stores because their such marketing whores...

hmm, dont mind me saying that you can buy these video cards on the net and it has the same specs like the ones you see in best buy or any other store for that matter.

I dont think BFG is the only company that does this, although I could be wrong. It is a TERRIBLE thing. They are charging you so much more money for something a friggen drunk monkey could do. My friends brother dosent even know what a processor is and he OCed his card to over what they sell you for an OC. It's a ridiculously decieving marketing ploy. Granted from their end it is very smart. From a buisness end, it is extremyl smart. There are so many n00bs out there who WILL pay the extra money for it. But for the leeter user, this is horrendous. Makes me not even want to buy BFG stuff, OCed or not.

On a side note, @Nubius: i just got my eVGA 6600GT, though I havent set it up yet. I will when I hok up my water cooling system. You think I should replace the stock cooler with a better one? I do intend on OCing it, so is the answer pretty much self explanatory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom