Video Card overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouen

In Runtime
Hey guys, been a while. I have a new problem, but I want to make sure I know the solution before I go out and buy it, 330 dollar solution lol.

I ordered a new mouse, the Logitech MX518. I got it in today, and plugged it int othe computer before it was turned on, as my old one had died. Well, everything was all well and fine, put the new DVD/CD-R ROM combo in so I could install the drivers for it. I did so, and all was well. I started up Counter Strike 1.6. I died a few times, and when I got a kill, the screen froze, and the sound kept repeating, like three times per second. Finally I had to Control Alt Delete to exit CS because it froze. After about 10 seconds of the screen being ok, my video went to crap, extremely distorted. I was like ok, my video card is overheating. It is 85 degrees in that bedroom (I checked the thermostat) Everything else was ok, the CPU was at 105 F, the board was 98 F. I let it cool down while I got a shower, came back. Restarted the computer, it was fine for 10 minutes and overheated again. I shut it off. I did some wire management, removed the filters from the front two intake fans on my case (Thermal Take Xaser III Super Tower, total of nine fans) I had some of the fans flipped to be exhaust fans.

The intakes were the front two fans, and the top fan. The exhaust fans were both side fans, and both rear fans. The top side fan helped the CPU fan pull air from the processor, while the bottom side fan now removed the trapped air under the video card (This was done a while ago, I removed the front two filters today)

Now, every time I start the comp, the BIOS screen is fine ,but the windows start up and desktop screens are extremely distorted. The card was now overheating in the approx. 30 seconds it took to load windows. I noticed the boot time was longer, as it usually only took about 15 seconds, I dont understand why that is, but that isn't my problem here. While the GPU and chips were very very hot, the connectors for the card and AGP slot were ok, there are no burns.

Has the card overheated so much/too many times, so that it finally suffered damage? Would replacing the video card be a must for it to work again? I believe yes, but I need a second opinon.

I'm watching the forums as I'm waiting for an informed response so I can make the order from newegg.

The new card is an eVGA GeForce 6800GT 256MB AGP 8x card, the old one is seen in my profile.

AHHHH HELP!

I'm geting the same problem when I try my old video card, a 9000, but the 9000 doesn't hardly get warm! The computer just flat out restarts most of the time. Once in a while the video craps out too. I dont get it. Come on, help guys! If I get a Nvidia card, will it fix this problem? Or is it something else

your problem could be your whole computer overheating, ie motherboard, cpu, etc and you might need to upgrade your cooling options, like a better heatsink and such, that should be helpful for you, and if your ordering off newegg right now, throw in a 25 dollar zalman heatsink while your at it.

Hey Rouen, really can't help you but i'm sure someone on tonight can. Just a quick question... I bought this the other day
Corsair TwinX XMS PC3200 DDR 400 2x512MB 1GB KIT

I see you have the same stuff......please say your happy with it?

Hmm, I think I may have a similar problem. I play UT2004 a lot, and just recently, the game will freeze up for about 10 REAL seconds, and when it unfreezes, it looks like this:
fubar1rs.jpg

Is that overheating or some kind of glitch? It happens very seldomly, but when it does happen, it will not go away until I restart the PC.

Nope, no overclocking. What makes me wonder if it's overheating or not, is that all I need to do is get rid of it, is to restart the PC, not even power it off, then it usually dosn't happen again. And, the video card is PCI (not express), and I thought PCI slots couldnt even draw enough power to make it overheat (not to mention that I only have a 200W PSU). Also, the video card has a copper heatsink with a fan and some AS5. Sorry for hijacking the thread. :)

Rouen = What kind of program do u use to monitor your temperatures with? cause 40c for CPU temp ona 3.0 intel in a 85F degree room, under moderate strain, that sounds a little low. so you may be getting inacurate readings. unless you already have an aftermarket HSF and AS5 isntalled?
---------------------------------------
003 = though your post dones have a pic, or i cant see it... Only 2 things come to mind, maybe someone else has more ideas.... How much ram do you have? if your running on bourderline amount of ram, and if the game starts pagingfiles to the HDD. or anything to the similar affect of running out of ram. it could cause your game to freeze a few seconds and comeback with funky colors.

or maybe your using a buggy verion of the game.(aka not retail)?

jolancer said:
Rouen = What kind of program do u use to monitor your temperatures with? cause 40c for CPU temp ona 3.0 intel in a 85F degree room, under moderate strain, that sounds a little low. so you may be getting inacurate readings. unless you already have an aftermarket HSF and AS5 isntalled?
---------------------------------------
003 = though your post dones have a pic, or i cant see it... Only 2 things come to mind, maybe someone else has more ideas.... How much ram do you have? if your running on bourderline amount of ram, and if the game starts pagingfiles to the HDD. or anything to the similar affect of running out of ram. it could cause your game to freeze a few seconds and comeback with funky colors.

or maybe your using a buggy verion of the game.(aka not retail)?
I have 1gb of RAM, and I have the special edition DVD version that I got the first day it came out. This has never hapened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom