Nvidia VS ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway back to my question, anyone know of any volt-mod resources on the net? Also, Whats the main difference between 6600 and 6600GT? Core differences? or just MHZ? cause i can always overclock it....

the 6600 has half the pipelines of the 6600gt, and has a very low mem/core frequency

you'll never overclock the 6600 to anything close to the 6600gt

the point? 6600gt is the obvious choice, or the 6800gt if you got the extra dough to drop

MHz and memory. And you'll never overclock the 6600 enough.

And for gods sake, don't volt mod. Its risky, and I really don't think you should do it. He'll, I know hardware and how to solder boards, and I'd never consider it.

Besides, I don't think the 6600/6600GT would get enough of a boost to make it worth while.

Part of the reason that I want to volt mod is shear interest. I would LOVE to tinker around with it even if i can't get 1FPS out of Doom. Part of the reason that I have such an interest in computers is because as a kid I fixed it, even if it wasn't broke=) so its kind of in my nature to mess around with things that dont need to be messed around with. Also thanks for the information on the half pipes. Is there any way i can unlock the pipes as you can with some of the lower-end ATI models? or is it unheard of so far?

if you love to unlock stuff, then you should google stuff about the 6800 vanilla (as in the regular 6600)

they should be around $200 and their pipelines can be unlocked from 12 to 16 (6800gt has 16) i think, i'm not sure; you should research it

you'll need to flash the video BIOS to that of the GT

use a program called NVFLASH.EXE, put it on a floppy, with the BIOS of a GT, and BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL 6600 BIOS, then flash it with the GT's bios
if it works, then great!

if it doesn't work, create an autoexec.bat with the command to flash the BIOS back to the original one. then put the floppy in and boot. once you know it's finished, reboot

beedubaya said:
Yeah, Shader Model 3 is the brick and mortar of future games.
Copy and paste much?

I think brick and mortar is an overstatement. Brick generally is the foundation and mortar is important for keeping the bricks held together and securing the foundation. I think the bricks would be the physical hardware like the gpu and vram and other stuff. Now on to the mortar. Since mortar kid of holds the things together I would consider the mortar to be on the non-physical part of the video card, like software and drivers. I would consider the video card drivers and all that to make up the large portion of the mortar. I think pixel shader 3 sort of factors into the mortar but on a lower scale. I would consider the pixel shader 3 to be a little bit of paint. IT get's painted on the wall and adds a little flavor and a bit more prettiness to the picture. It's a part of the paint with all the other cute things like anisotropic filtering, anti-alising, alternating pixel centers, projectors, and all of those things. But I dont think it constitutes a large part of the paint.

So basically I don't think it's the brick and mortar, I think it's part of the paint on the house that is a video card. And I think if you reanalyze your comment now you will see that it is flawed according to known principles and facts about the nature of houses and brick and mortar.

Thank you dale, your probably the sole reason this thread is going to be closed. I had valid points and questions for the nice people of the forum, and you are clearly arguing with one of the moderators, which i dont think is wise. Im not going to flame anything you say but i dont appreciate your post because its not relative to the thread. I have another question before it finally gets closed, i heard that you can unlock some of the pipes from the 6800, so my question is.. does anyone have a link to a site where this has been done and documented? Thank you for all of your input! and i wish you all the best of luck with your computer-related problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom