Audigy 2 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Than how come records are considered better sound quality than CD's...

And they have bad SNR's

Turtle beach IMO is better than Soundblaster series

Turtle beach is perhaps better for music. But if you want the best sound card for gaming then no question it's the sound blaster audigy 2 zs.

The turtle's and M-audios don't seem to have as high of sampling rates and they also don't support EAX Advanced HD 4.0. Which I believe is most important for gaming. Basically Creative offers the best support for gaming out of the sound card manufacturers.

Chankama said:
What are the major differences between these cards guys?.
Audigy 2 ZS, value, etc.
Thinks like the Audigy 2 Plantiums have more recording functions. As for some thing like a SB Live Value 5.1 i would not waste my money on as the sound quality between in as some on board AC 97 5.1 Sound Cards is not worth the price tag. I would only purchace a SB live Value if the my onboard sound card as 2 channel.
Audigy 2 ZS is a rather nice card if you want some thing for gaming.

I have an Audigy 1 LS, and it is quite a good card. personally I don't care for the small sound differences between it and, say an Audigy 2 ZS. I don't record or mix music, so I don't need a card with advanced features for that. my Audigy LS does fine with my 5.1 speakers, and that's enough for me

I have a friend with the Audigy 2 Value, and it doesn't disappoint. even before he got his kickarse speakers (the Logitech Z-5500) his sound quality was really good. seriously, unless you have superhuman ears, or you work with sound editing, you're not going to notice the difference between an Audigy LS, audigy 2 value or some $5000 dollar super sound card

I wonder who would want more recording options on a not so sound card...

I mean for recording, you get a simple, cheap basic good sounding card.

And in Dale's little flame escapade, he should have brought something up like saying the the soundblasters use less CPU cycles than Turtle Beach \ M-Audio, even though this is unconfirmed.

My flame escapade? I was making valid points with no flaming until you flamed me. I odn't like flaming anyway, wastes energy.

dale5605 said:
Yes it does, learn before YOU speak.

"In analog and digital communications, signal-to-noise ratio, often written S/N or SNR, is a measure of signal strength relative to background noise. The ratio is usually measured in decibels (dB).

If the incoming signal strength in microvolts is Vs, and the noise level, also in microvolts, is Vn, then the signal-to-noise ratio, S/N, in decibels is given by the formula

S/N = 20 log10(Vs/Vn)

If Vs = Vn, then S/N = 0. In this situation, the signal borders on unreadable, because the noise level severely competes with it. In digital communications, this will probably cause a reduction in data speed because of frequent errors that require the source (transmitting) computer or terminal to resend some packets of data.

Ideally, Vs is greater than Vn, so S/N is positive. As an example, suppose that Vs = 10.0 microvolts and Vn = 1.00 microvolt. Then

S/N = 20 log10(10.0) = 20.0 dB

which results in the signal being clearly readable. If the signal is much weaker but still above the noise -- say 1.30 microvolts -- then

S/N = 20 log10(1.30) = 2.28 dB

which is a marginal situation. There might be some reduction in data speed under these conditions.

If Vs is less than Vn, then S/N is negative. In this type of situation, reliable communication is generally not possible unless steps are taken to increase the signal level and/or decrease the noise level at the destination (receiving) computer or terminal.

Communications engineers always strive to maximize the S/N ratio. Traditionally, this has been done by using the narrowest possible receiving-system bandwidth consistent with the data speed desired. However, there are other methods. In some cases, spread spectrum techniques can improve system performance. The S/N ratio can be increased by providing the source with a higher level of signal output power if necessary. In some high-level systems such as radio telescopes, internal noise is minimized by lowering the temperature of the receiving circuitry to near absolute zero (-273 degrees Celsius or -459 degrees Fahrenheit). In wireless systems, it is always important to optimize the performance of the transmitting and receiving antennas"

Hence less backround noise for better signal and therefore a better quality sound.

Seems like someone knows how to (Cut & Paste) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom