Question about RAM configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmlow

Beta member
I have a simple question about RAM configuration. Is 1GBx2 faster/more efficient than 512x4? Just always wondered it it makes any kind of difference. Thanks.

The new board I am buying has four slots. It is just a bit less expensive to have 512x4, so that's why i am asking.

4x512 would be better if u have them in dual channel, but 2x1g is better if u wana add more ram later on.

4 sticks of 512 is better in dual channel... I wish somebody told me that when I got my first stick of RAM. If I knew that, I would have gone with 4 sticks of that platinum stuff that overclocks extremely well, but it is 512 MB. Oh well, my RAM is not horrible, and one day who knows... I may have 4 sticks of 1 GB in dual channel... that'll be a beast!

anything above 1-1.5 gigs is a waste of money

UNLESS you do some crazy ass video editing/rendering

4x 512 Meg would be better for overclocking

2x 1 Gig would be better for non overclocking.

Originally posted by Kadahaf
anything above 1-1.5 gigs is a waste of money

UNLESS you do some crazy ass video editing/rendering
yeah... you say that now, but at one time people said "anything higher than 256 MB is a waste of money, unless you're doing something crazy on your computer."

I have 512 in my comp now and it cant near handle the programs i run... so it may be overkill now but at least in a yr or two i wont be bogged down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom