Computer Probs......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire_Slayer

In Runtime
Hey, I have asked this before but it was a long time ago and I didn't get any answers that helped, so I am posting again. My computer will shut off out of nowhere, but it does it with some cool-down time type of idea. The longer I do not use it, the longer it can be on without turning off with it turning off one sec after startup if i havent been on for a few hours. I have a DFI Lanparty Ultra, AMD Athlon64 3200+ winchester, Artic Silver5 thermal compound, and stock amd fan and heatsink. I have it set up to shut off when the cpu reaches 60*C, and when I first put on new thermal compound it will not do this for a few days and when it starts doing this I have replaced the layer of thermal compound and then it worked a few days before doing its routine for awhile longer. I could use some advice on what to do to solve this problem, my dad says it might be the thermal compound im using, also the temp reader could be wrong, and would it be better to turn up the shut down temp and if so to what temp?

Edit: I just got my computer into bios, I checked out the temps and my computer was on for a few minutes with the temps just above 30*C, with the highest temp being the chipset at 34*C.

How much thermal compound are you using. You literally need a grain of rice/1 a green pea.

You do have the shut down a bit low, my default on my winnie 3000 is 85*C (with continuous beeps set if it goes above 75.)

Did you remove the thermal pad and the thermal compound (before re-aplying) with isophyl/something that is above 90% alcahol?

Getting a better heatsink is never a bad investment.

i experience the same probs
i have a p-4 1.8ghz at 2.1.ghz and i experience random shutdowns
so i dont know what to do
i have a new hsf and arctic 5 thermal paste on the way

Well if you don't mind, you know that you can go into BIOS and disable that function.

I did use just a small dab like I was supposed to each time. So putting the shut down temperature up a bit would be a good idea? Yes, I did take off the thermalpad from the heatsink and I did use 90%+ iso alch.
I almost ordered a Zalman heatsink last night but I don't want to spend the 50 bucks unless I am pretty sure it will help. One more thing, I put some thermal grease that my dad had laying around on my computer before I got my artic silver, but I took it off before I first turned on my computer and you can still see some of it in the micro canyons of the cpu and heatsink, would it be wise to get some articlean since the iso alch wont clean all out?

I have disabled the shut down temperature feature.......And it has solved nothing......and it always shuts off when the computer is at normal temp anyways......so I don't think it is computer temp thats the problem. After it turns off, the LED light that is there to let you know the computer is on turns off. Could this be a power problem? Could it be a plug in problem? Could it even be a hardware problem?

Sounds like a PSU problem, your PSU could have a Overload shut off feature that makes it cut off when its being overloaded to long.

Does that mean I will have to get a new PSU or is there another thing I can do to fix this? Because I just bought that OCZ Modstream so I really don't want to get a new one......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom