how important is POWERSUPPLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbutt

Banned
how important is powersupply???
this new comp im building has a 420 watt power supply... is that good or bad and why???
would a 500 watt be better? would it haev any poerformance problems or just cause to run hotter?

(some of u have probly seen this as im trying to get as much info on new comp before i get it)
-CAS:Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display
-CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
-CASUPGRADE: 12" COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT
-CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3200+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
-FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
-FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK x2
-HDD: Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache
-MOTHERBOARD: (939-pin Socket) Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 Chipset MB w/ LAN, USB2.0, IEEE, & AUDIO
-MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value RAM)
-MODEM: PCI 56K V.92 FAX MODEM W/ VOICE
-SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
-SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
-VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD-- Powered by Leadtek

You my friend do not want to use the PSU that comes with a case.

Find one online thats around 500 watts, with high amps on each of the rails on it.

watts doesn't matter at all; i bet a 350W seasonic can power a 6800GT pci-e and fx-55

it all depends on the brand, then the A on 12V

if you want a cheap but good psu, then go for the 450W ocz modstream or 500W fortron blue storm, both around $80-90

found this "Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control " for 60 more than the case power supply, that PSU any good?

Think about it for a second......the PSU is the powerhouse to your computer.....you really want a crappy one that'll just be under powering the system and causing troubles later in the future?

On the side of your PSU is a sticker with the amps per rail.......the +12v, +5v and +3.3v have certain amperage ratings.......generally the 5 and 3.3 are fine....but you want a +12v rail that says it has atleast 20a for these newer computers

super alien is crap

go with the OCZ modstream series or fortron blue storm; if you plan on upgrading your gfx, go with the OCZ powerstream 520W

u guys are probly all recommending greta PSU but i need one that i can build on this site (so it will be shipped to me operable out of the box) and to save money and time and shipping. I dont know hardly anything about hardware other than installing RAM.
so the ones id like to choose from are... (from most $ - least)
-Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control
-THERMALTAKE 480WATT POWER SUPPLY
-ULTRA X-Connect 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans
-Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom