What do you think of these specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that chris and diablo said was true. Dont get the X850 XT. This is coming from someone who made that mistake

guys your gonna overwhelm him, just chill a lil,
darylb, just tell us how much you want to spend and what you'll be using the computer for and we can reccomend you the right stuff, also what most people do on these forums, and what i'd reccomend (cause it's cheaper) is build their own computer, it's not very hard and doesn't take much techincal expertise, just follow the manuals and post here with problems, and doing so will save you a load of cash.

no offense, but it's a bad build
None taken, thats why i'm looking for advice :)
i can make a better one for you, but you gotta tell me how much you can spend and are you building this yourself or via a site?
I having the computer technician from my dad's company put it together because he can get me good prices on parts (eg. $12 CDRW).
Not bad at all. Though why buy a CDRW if u already have a DVDRW???
Well the CDRW was only $12 more so I thought I possibly wouldn't wear out the DVDRW then, also might allow CD to CD copying? It's not really a big price difference for me on this one so I dont think the extra CDRW is a big deal.
Additonally, i don't know how much the ATI card is but the NVidia 6600GT is extremely good. What are you going to use the PC for?
I'm getting a strong impression to nix the ATI card in favor of an NVidia one, I think i'll be doing that now. I'll be using the computer for the obvious basic uses, gaming, some basic recording (hence the sound card possible choice) and even video editing.
Yes you might want to consider an nVidia 6800GT instead of that ATI.
Does the nVidia 6800GT seem to be the best choice?
ou need a bigger and better PSU(id go for 500+watt psu), go with antec, thermaltake or OCZ.
Okay, so up the PSU to at least 500? Is that a standard high end psu wattage?
Make sure you dont get the shitty 1GB of ram, twinmos is good if u arent overclocking.
I probably wont be overclocking, so then are saying I should make sure it is a good make of ram?
Maybe a 6800GT(leadtek or eVGA) over the 850XT.
Okay, yeah I've decided to change that vid card after the responses here so far
and Maybe a athlon 64(like a 3500+ venice core, if you do decide to go with AMD, get the DFI lan party motherboard, its awsome) over the Intel p4 depending on what you are using this computer for (AMD>Intels for gaming).
Okay so Athlon 64 at what speed?
Why on earth are you getting intel?
Out of ignorance so far but I haven't got it thus far, this is why i'm asking advice
Why the hell would you even think about ATI?
Well i'm reconsidering now
Tell me how much you are willing to spend, and I'll set you up real good. Why would you even think of AGP?
I read that AGP is faster, was I wrong? My budget is rough $3000 CAD, which is $2400 USD, keep in mind I can get parts such as the graphics card, sound card, etc a bit cheaper than some retail list prices.
Don't use a PSU that comes with a case, unless it is from Antec or Thermaltake. 350 will barely hold that system even from a good make, so it is likely to be unstable/re-start randomly.
Recommended PSU Wattage?
Also if that monitor is a TFT/plasma/LCD don't get a cheap one, as they get dead pixels and have a slow refresh rate, so you will get shosting.
It is made by LG, I could find out the specfic model number. I do think it is a decent one but i'll have to double check on that.

Okay I do have the ability to build it myself, I am somewhat computer inclined but i'm (obviously) a little out of the loop on the best choices for latest computer parts, thanks for your advice so far guys, i'm looking forward to improving my choice of system here!

The athlon 64 3200+ or 3500+ venice are great. OCZ modstream 520watt PSU is great. Since you arent overclocking, get the twinMOS 1gb(512x2) they are good from what i hear on the forums.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3160827AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

PLEXTOR Beige 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 8M Cache SATA DVD Burner - Retail

OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply 100-120V AC/200-240V AC TUV, UL, CSA, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Black Chassis: 1.0mm SECC Japan Steel; Front Panel: Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail

RAZER Diamondback Precision Gaming Mouse RZ-1600 Salamander Red 7 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Optical Mouse - Retail

Hyundai ImageQuest B70A Siver & Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch - Retail (can't say i know the brand well but the specs are amazing)

Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 470 watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

That's roughly $2500usd off of www.newegg.com and should be cheaper for you if you have tech connections
(also check www.ncix.com for canadian prices to make sure you can't get a better deal then the tech.)

NCIX is a very good and reliable site for canadians, so i'll get all my prices from there

AMD64 3200+ Venice-287
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14416&vpn=ADA3200BPBOX&manufacture=AMD
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR -218 (regular non-SLI is 190)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14300&vpn=LANPARTY-UT-NF4-SLI-DR&manufacture=DFI
Seagate Barracuda 200gb SATA HDD-153
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12302&vpn=ST3200822AS&manufacture=Seagate
eVGA 6800GT -536
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13814&vpn=256-P2-N376-AX&manufacture=eVGA
Thermaltake suprano (or any case you like) -110
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13939&vpn=VB1000SWS&manufacture=THERMALTAKE
m-audio revolution-121
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10515&vpn=US99120&manufacture=M-Audio
OCZ powerstream 520W-172
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12347&vpn=OCZ520ADJ&manufacture=OCZ Technology

if you're overclocking:
-get a zalman 7700cu HSF and a tube of arctic silver 5, if not, just go with the one AMD comes with
-get a gig of decent ram, such as OCZ el platinum Rev2's; if not, just get a gig of regular ram, or two if you can afford it

altogether, it's $2000CAD at most

if you can wait until the summer, then do so, because the new nvidia and ati cards will come out then and you can buy a DFI crossfire boards perhaps

GageMW said:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Integrated into Chip FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3160827AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

PLEXTOR Beige 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 8M Cache SATA DVD Burner - Retail

OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply 100-120V AC/200-240V AC TUV, UL, CSA, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Black Chassis: 1.0mm SECC Japan Steel; Front Panel: Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Retail

RAZER Diamondback Precision Gaming Mouse RZ-1600 Salamander Red 7 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Optical Mouse - Retail

Hyundai ImageQuest B70A Siver & Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch - Retail (can't say i know the brand well but the specs are amazing)

Klipsch PROMEDIA ULTRA 5.1 470 watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail

That's roughly $2500usd off of www.newegg.com and should be cheaper for you if you have tech connections
(also check www.ncix.com for canadian prices to make sure you can't get a better deal then the tech.)
you must have read my mind or something

Newegg does not ship to Canada.

Get the 600W OCZ power supply.
http://www.xoxide.com/ocz-powerstream-600-watt.html

Get this heatsink w/ Arctic Silver 5.
http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-7000b-cu-led-cpu-cooler.html

If you are using this for gaming get an audigy 2 zs sound card, creative sound cards have the best support for games, m-audio and others are more for music.

Get Seagate or Western Digital hard drives. Probably the two best brands.

AMD Venice processor would be a good idea, brand new core.

DiabloII says: if you can wait until the summer, then do so, because the new nvidia and ati cards will come out then and you can buy a DFI crossfire boards perhaps

Which cards are these and what date do they come out?

The nvidia is the 7800, the ati is the X900. They are supposed to hit the market around june/july. judging by the specs, it looks like ATI is going to smoke nvidia this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom