Make an 'internal' hard-drive 'external'

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I recievd the conversion cables. When I first plugged them in with my IDE hdd, it picked it up (win xp) as a mass storage device & installed the driver automatically but then it gave the error: the device cannot start. I found out that this was becuase I needed to make my hdd a master (jumper setting).

SO then it installed fine...and in my 'safely remove hardware' icon it even shows up (also in device manager). The problem is that it doesn't come it in my computer. The hdd still works (tried connecting it internally) but i need it to connect through USB. Normally it comes up as drive 'f:/'. When I try to map this manually it cant find it.

AParently this is quite a common problem even with enclosures? Any ideas?

I went to disk management and there are only 2 partitions there- both from my internal hdd. My external comes under 'disk drives' in device manager but i cant seem to do anything with it?

best soulutin: get a cardboard box cut a hole and a "blowhole" and then put the HD in there then connect it no static electricity.

I tried that & it didn't work- I don't think its got anything to do with static electricicty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom