Explorer not responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse5150

Baseband Member
Hello i recently did an install of XP Pro on my new PC. And recently after being on the internet for a while, when i come to power down my PC i get the "Not Responding" window for Explorer.

Anyone know how to stop this as it stops me from just setting it off for shutdown then going out of the room as it messes around with this rubbish.

I'm gonna ge me all the updates for XP tonight to see if that helps (i only installed the MSBlast security update up to now)

Thanks
karl

:beard:

Thats a good start...
SP1 for XP and SP1 for IE 6.0 have very crucial updates that greatly impact perofrmance.
I would install these, along with all of the security updates, etc.
Hope they help...

-Mike

Are there any redist downloads for XP updates? Cos it's annoying, at work i have 50kbps Broadband but here i have crappy 7kbps dial-up :(

"Not responding" do not mean "the computer hang up". Maybe some programs are running when you shut down your computer. Try to close all applications before shut down the computer. :)

You bring up an interesting point, there also can be 3rd party executables using the iexplore or explorer. Make sure that your PC is free of these types of application (New.net, SaveNow, etc.)
Also, in my previous post, I was assuming that you meant Internet Explorer. Does the system have problems shutting down iexplore or explorer?
I assumed Internet Explorer due the the many recent changes that Microsoft has implemented with the mshtml.dll that iexplore uses. The latest hotfixes and SPs will fix these sort of hanging issues when shutting down your computer, playing media within Internet Explorer, Opening up certain pages, etc.

-Michael

Thanks for the input guys,

I didnt download the service pack cos it was taking FRRREAKIN AGES! (see above post)

I'll try again tonight. I do mean explorer, you know when you get that window and it says something along the lines of "explorer is not responding" and you get a button that says "end now".

Gah!

Karl

amen cowticket

and what r u talkin about gettin service pack 1 from a cd, u talkin like mailorder or somethin, they do have it tho for networks and such so every single computer doesnt have to dload it especially on 56k, however by the time u got it u could have dloaded it and been done along time ago.
start downloading before u go to bed and let it go over the nite, i would hope it would b done by mornin. not just sp1 either select um all and go to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom