Winchester 3200 problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewhohasissues

In Runtime
I got this issue with my 3200:

According to quite alot at DFI forums, newer winchester's are crap overclockers, is this true? I myself have only managed 2.4 stable and it was hell getting there. Uping the FSB and increasing the voltage didn't work it was a case of random settings.

Anyway...

I decided to reset my settings cause City of Heros didn't seem to like my OC'd 3200, though Wolfenstein can for hours and Prime95 could for around 18hours.

I then added a blue cathrode to my case, and tried to OC again using the same settings for 2.4! And it kept rebooting before it reached Windows. So Now I've unconnected the cathrode, a case fan that runs on the motherboard and another one that uses a molex connector, tried the OC again and it worked!

So is that I've got 1 of the poor new batch 3200s that won't overclock? Or haven't I got enough power running my system?

System Specs:

Antec True Blue 480watt PSU (I use a 20/24 pin adapter)
DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
XFX 6800GT

Honestly, to me it sounds like a PSU problem. If it overclocked before and after the cathode and fan, then it sounds like you aren't getting the power you should. I am not completely positive though... anyone else know for sure?

EDIT: You could get something like Speedfan and see what the voltages are.

Winchesters are not bad overclockers.

Try overclocking again and upping the ram voltages (not by loads 2.7 would be enough.)

Check that you are getting the right voltages, your PSU could be failing (even though it is a great quality make.)

Wait... what was I thinking... of course it isn't your processor. I have a Winchester and I overclocked it from 1.8 GHz to 2.3 GHz. It has to be something else, because your processor is great for overclocking.

wow... can you say brain fart?

Trifid said:
Winchesters are not bad overclockers. Try overclocking again and upping the ram voltages (not by loads 2.7 would be enough.)

Okies I'll try that, I haven't OC'd my ram though.

Raise the fsb means that you increase the ram speed, along with the CPU, and AGP and PCI, so put the PCI lock on to stop those. To stop your ram being overclocked you have to put the ram at a different ratio from 1:1 but than that would be a HUGE bottle neck, so don't.

1. It's all about luck of the draw really
2. It seems like the later you wait to get the processor the worse the overclocking becomes in terms of the winnies
3. Maxing out around 2.4 is pretty common for the winchesters....although really good overclockers their actual architecture limits them to some degree....the venices architecture fixed this problem and this is why you'll see venices and diegos hitting 2.8GHz quite commonly.

Make sure you have the molex connector that needs to be plugged into your motherboard as well.......generally unless you're running SLI you can do without that extra floppy connector near the PCI-E slot......also if you've been raising the CPU HTT beyond 200 and haven't been messing around with a memory divider and haven't been paying attention to your memory OC's then the RAM is probably holding you back.

Molex to the motherboard? What does that do? I think I first tried it when I built it and nothing happened.

I think raising the DRAM worked, still experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom