Upgrading...mobo and AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I will give this a try tonight. Trial and Error, baby - it is the only way to fly!

Hey Krystof,

the Mup.sys error is probably from the change in hardware you have performed, as well as the "stop 0x0000007B" error.
you can check that error code at :
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

You might need to reformat and reload - the original OS software, then do your upgrade to XP.

Hope this helps!

Had the very same prolem once, so what i did was i booted up with the orig vid card, uninstalled the video graphcs for the onboard, installed the ones for the agp, turned the machine off, pluged in the new agp card booted up and it worked. Fiezk has a very good point though, when i bought my ATI 9800, my RAM would not work with the vid card. I dont know why but they just wouldnt. Good luck.

The menu for this evening (each process going twice - rebooting once from CD and once from Windows Safe Mode after each bit):

1. Disable RAID in CMOS, as it isn't needed
2. Remove USB connectors for front panel
3. Remove USB support in CMOS
4. Attempt to boot from full version Windows 2000 CD
5. Switch to older CD-ROM
6. Hit F6 when booting from CD, specify additional drivers for IDE from manufacturer's mobo disk
7. Bios Flash, followed by CMOS reset, followed by boot from CD
8. Use both HDs on good computer, backup all files to old HD, format current HD, use full-version Windows 2000 disk, boot from CD.

Somewhere in there I am sure to get this fixed tonight.

I got nothin...nada...zip...

I cannot boot from any CD using any HD or anything. This is just a complete mess. I went through the entire menu, and nothing worked. Woe is me.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I know you all tried, but somehow, the electronic stuff won this time...sniff...

Bah... It sounds more and more like a hardware failure... :(

My recommendation is that you try to find another system to check if all of your components are working properly.

Solution found...cost $50 for two hours.

This motherboard has an onboard RAID controller, but no slots to stick in RAID, only IDE. I had disabled RAID in the CMOS before, but evidently I also needed to disable ACPI and during the initial blue text setup screen when booting from CD, hit F5 and tell XP what type of computer it was.

IDE and RAID conflicts happened before when booting from CD. When I get home, I am going to try and boot into Safe Mode one last time, and then I will boot fom the CD.

At least we now know it is not any of the parts - just a dumb mobo manufacturer who put a RAID controller on the mobo without spots to stick stuff in. Thank you, Matsonic.

And thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom