Advice on getting a new case

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you bought that case? Cool beans.

Thats a nice PSU, you really cannot go wrong with Thermaltake. 410W is kinda small, it's not much more than your current one, and it really limits you on future upgrades. Especially with the dual layer DVD burner, they take alot. I would get something a little bigger, but the final choice is yours to make.

As for the ground wires, thats kinda overkill. Everything is properly grounded, not only to the PSU but to the case as well. If you had a big overclock and lots of voltage running through it, I would see the added protection of added grounds, but it really is rather useless. You can do it if you want, but I really dont think it would help anymore. But it's certainly not going to hurt anything if you do do it. But I can understand the need for fault tolerance.

EDIT: Just realized that is was a completely acrylic case. Good call on the grounds. Stick the wires under the mother board screws to ground the motherboard, and also stick the ground wires under the mounting screws of the devices you would like to ground. That would seem to be the best place for a ground to be.

O.K., well i'm going to be getting (DFI Lanparty ultra-D, AMD64 3200+, either 6600 or 6800GT) for an upgrade in about 6 months, i thought getting a decent brand PSU instead of my generic one would be o.k. but for an upgrade like this what would you suggest, 480-510-560W.

Drworm2005.

That is one nasty system. In about 6 months, there are going to be alot of better parts out there though, and those will be considered mediocre by comparison. However, they will still be good components, and we will use them for this example.

That is a high drain combination you got there. In 6 months time, a 6800GT is going to cost next to nothing and the 6600GT is going to be all but obsolete. I would consider going even higher than 560W, although it may be overkill. 560 is pretty big, but I really wouldnt go under 500. It is better to have to big of a PSU than to small of one.

Him said:
That is one nasty system. In about 6 months, there are going to be alot of better parts out there though, and those will be considered mediocre by comparison. However, they will still be good components, and we will use them for this example.

That is a high drain combination you got there. In 6 months time, a 6800GT is going to cost next to nothing and the 6600GT is going to be all but obsolete. I would consider going even higher than 560W, although it may be overkill. 560 is pretty big, but I really wouldnt go under 500. It is better to have to big of a PSU than to small of one.

not 100% true, silicone has its limits, i mean yeah price will drop, but it will still be a couple hundred..

When i got the case it came in a kit form and i had to build it myself, it took about 4 hours to build but it was worth it, check it out.

Drworm2005.

That looks really cool my man, glad you enjoy it. You definetely have something that little to no other people have.
100 points for originality! :)

-Bones

Cold cathode is needed :p

May not be such a good idea though, as I can't look at mine directly, and there isn't much room to hide it in there.

I have a couple of cathode's but i'm not going to put them in until i get another PSU, i'm draining enough power as it is. I'm experiencing random black screens where nothing responds and i have to power off for about 1 hour and try again. That's why i thought if i try and ground a few items hoping it might fix this problem for now.

Drworm2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom