Cancerous USB Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
"Warning: The cords included in this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after use."

My buddy just got an MP3 player and he read that warning in the book. Rather unsettling.

But everything is know to the state of California to cause cancer!

Every part of your house, from the screws in the wall to the lint in you pocket, causes cancer in the great state of Cali. I should know, I've built just about everything. And on every part you find, wether it be screws, or pressurized/stressed/treated lumber, or insulation, has that stupid sticker of warning on it. I'm waiting to buy a Haines shirt that has that warning on the tag.

But, its like I always like to say: The number one cause of cancer is living.

Him said:
"Warning: The cords included in this product may contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after use."

My buddy just got an MP3 player and he read that warning in the book. Rather unsettling.

That is actually true. Cords are made of rubber/plastic, and when both of which are burned or ingested, contain carcinogens.

charles_scott said:
Suprised food dont have that warning yet.....

Well, I believe sugar free gum is known to the state of California to cause cancer. As well as diet soda. I believe they consider aspartame to be a carcinogen. That has to say somethign though, I mean they cant all be dumb, stoned, hippies out there. :p

It's aspartame in many diet substances that is thought to be a carcinogen. I'm a cancer researcher, and let me tell you, a lot of these warnings/labels/whatever have a lot more to do with politics than they do with good science. But this is not the place to discuss this.

If you are eating USB cables, you've got bigger things to worry about than cancer.

Why does it have to do with politics? I hate politics!

But damn, I had a nice big bowl of USB cables for breakfast this morning, and I'm starting to feel a bit woozy. Think I should start worrying? :p

Him,

If you are getting woozy from eating the USB cables, it's probably because of a perforated bowel :p

As for politics vs. science vs. cancer, I don't want to get any sort of irrational bickering going on here, especially since it's a tech forum.

Him said:

Many USB cables contain lead, dude.

Aside from CA's usually stupid laws and warnings, they've got a point here....even if it is a bit remote.

You can get some of the lead on your hands, but it's pretty minute. The most risk comes from chewing on the cables (believe it or not, it's common, especially for those with little kids and pets).

It's minor, but CA is pretty uptight on even the smallest of hazards.

Personally, they have plenty of other laws and warnings that are totally worthless and unwarranted.

I know they got led in them. I just have never seen a caution like that, and I thought it was ridiculous. I didnt think that it would be a hazard to simply handle them though, that IS ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom