RAM temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
Just out of curiosity, if I overclock my RAM, how will I know if it is getting too hot? I mean, is there some safety mechanism that won't let them overheat?

They do have a blue heat spreader on them.

unless you are pushing beyond 3v through your RAM, dont worry about them getting hot.....no there is no safety shutoff, if it fries it fries......heatspreaders are sometimes worse....depends on what material is between the actual spreader and the RAM chips......assuming you were using 3.2v and upwards of that then a simple fan hovering above them blowing would be enough to keep it ok

I was wondering because if I pump anywhere higher than 1.7 volts to them, my BIOS shows it in RED and says system may be unstable... so is this just a warning pretty much telling me that if I choose to mess with this and it goofs, it's my fault?

you mean 2.7 right.......

Anything above 2.6 which for most ram especially valueRAM is default, will probably give you that warning.......but if it comes to RMAing the RAM you simply neglect to mention that you raised the voltage

Yeah, I meant 2.7. The RAM has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not too worried, and like you said, if it goes to pot, then I'll neglect to mention that I upped the voltage on it.

But to get this straight, the motherboard is just recommending that I don't mess with it, right? It is still safe to increase? Because I noticed it does that with my CPU voltage too, and it is adequately cooled.

Charles pretty much hit the nail on the head....it's going to say that thing to pretty much scare away anyone who doesn't know what they are doing......so with that.....just make sure you do infact know what you're doing.

Upping voltages and ram voltages is not nearly as risky as you think. 2.8 Volts thru any kind of ram is abosuletly nothing.

The only problems you have are raising other voltage's on your motherboard (like AGP slot) and raising your actual video card voltage

I'm kind of a nubie on oc'ing. So, would it be pretty much ok to up my voltage to around 3 on my DDR ram?
And nubius.. you mentioned spreaders can be worse? what kind do you recommend.. the copper ones?

it's not the material of the spreaders....it's the thermal pad used in between the actual metal and the RAM chips......if it's crappy little pad, it won't dissipate heat at all but rather act more like a blanket and cause your RAM to just get warmer.....I don't think I've seen anyone every fry RAM because of the heatspreaders though, even up at 3.7v, but you HAVE to have a fan blowing on your RAM once you get to 3v and beyond......I supposed you dont have to, but honestly I wouldn't advise not having a fan....better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom