is this a good case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off - go with a case that uses 120mm fans, not 80; they're a little more expensive but they move much more air, with much less noise, so they're great for both overclockers and silence enthusiasts. You also want to look for the extra small details; little extras like air filters, rubber grommets, drive rails, etc. will not only be easier to work with, but will often indicate a case marketed toward enthusiasts, which is ultimately what you want to get (assuming you can afford one, as they can sometimes go for significantly more). If you can, look at one in person for the size and build quality - see if the metal bends or warps too easily, and how well the various parts fit together, and whether you'll have room to work inside it. Also - unless the included power supply is from Antec (or Seagate, but I don't know of any manufacturer that includes them), don't count on keeping it, because in my experience a LOT of manufacturers try to cut costs there. Try to look for a cheaper case that doesn't include one (or a case with more features and better quality for the same price).

As for recommendations: Anything by Antec will serve you well, but I personally like the SLK3000's; I own a 3000B myself. Plenty of features, lots of room to work inside, and a great platform for building a quiet system, which is important to me. The only gripe I have with it is that a lot of the air comes in through the side gratings, bypassing the air filter in the front. I fixed that with an old nylon and some electrical tape.

The new Antec P180 looks really nice, too; designed from the ground up for silence and airflow. Only thing is if you want a window, that's not gonna work; the panels are made from an aluminum-plastic-aluminum layered design to stop noise and vibration, and I imagine that'd be really difficult to cut a window out of.

I've never used a case by Ultra, but like everybody else that posted already, I'd rather go with an Antec or a Lian-Li.

wtf is right

i own a 3000B myself and it's great (well it doesn't exactly look 'great' but, it 's what's on the inside that counts :D)

the P180 does a good job of cooling and looks great, go for that or the lian li PC-65 if you got the money

The only thing I've really heard is to stay away from Powmax.

Besides, he likes the white finish its different. He also wanted a case with a window on its side. (poking fun at the double post).:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom