WOW! Good Lord: ATI is back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 bucks says eventually there will be nVidia and ATi specific motherboards, similar to Intel and AMD requiring different sockets. I mean it's already happening with dual card solutions, and with cards growing increasing complex eventually they'll branch off it different directions and you'll need a specific slot for a specific card type.

BTW, you could consider video cards motherboards if you wanted to, they are basically similar concepts with independatant capacitors, processing units, memory, transitors etc. It won't be long until they have an independant BIOS, jumpers and CMOS type chips on 'em IMO.

via is already doing just that........the newest generation of via cpu's/chipsets makes it all via all the time, 2ghz@20watts of power consumption

are there any nvidia based mobos with integrated graphics?

I believe nVidia has a number of chipset variations with crap like supposed intergrated 6600GTs, which I assume decicates the same core speed and RAM size found on normal 6600GTs from the CPU and system RAM and uses them, I'm not sure though.

Same old crappy jazz though.

I can see them using the new BTX form factor to make this thing a reality. I think they've hit a road block with these newest multicard/multiGPU solutions. Two cards in SLI is ok, but it takes up so much room. You lose valuable PCI slots. Cooling is a *****. This new crossfire approach is ok too but, it still is a two card solution with limitations and takes up so much space. Then you have those MONSTEROUS dual GPU cards that are 3/4 the size of the motherboard. Cool that sucker with one hell of a HS&FAN. Still no room left in case.

Now consider - Redesigning the MOBO to bring GPU's to the same level as CPU's. Why not? NVIDIA & ATI can still make a ton of money selling GPU's in some new type of form factor. Similar to that of CPU's. Nvidia could be socket N - ATI could be socket AT. Imagine the pipelines that a whole MOBO could have? Also you could incorporate really fast ram into slots that were just for the GPU. And I do believe the bandwidth would be a hell of alot faster then PCI Express and AGP. The GPU would have it's own BUS SYSTEM and would be a lot closer to the the Northbridge and southbridge. For cooling you could use any CPU type topside coolers. Cases would need to support ventilation, but that's easy.

This system could be upgraded. Faster RAM, Faster Newer GPU's.

Yeah... This is what I see in the near future. Gamers spend a lot of money on this technology. They need to start making GAMING specific motherboards that center around GPU's and CPU's...

Oh yeah and I almost forgot the near future PPU. A perfect triangle of gaming Bliss... LOL - $1200 motherboards...

Elbatrop1 said:
Whats the point of racing cars?
Whats the point of any competition sport?

All you want is to be recognized as better than the next guy at something that you are passionate about.

OCing isnt for everyone, but it was for this guy, and a few thousand others.
I wasn't talking about the benchmark, dude. I was talking about how this guy pulled just about every trick in the book to force the cards to work faster.

So he took two top-ot-line ATI cards, basically gave them the computer version of nitros, and blew the top off the benchmark. He did it, but does it have any practical meaning? Was this a level achieved by the current state of the technology, that which we can all use and buy? If I pump an athlete full of steroids and he breaks the world record, is it that great of an accomplishment?

Now, if ATI put out an off-the-shelf card that, by normal design, pumped out 15k on the 3Dmark benchtest, I'd be impressed.

This guy didn't impress me. It's not like he came up with some new algorithms or chip materials or drivers or anything. All he did was pump as much power and cooling into them. He didn't make a breakthrough for ATI. This isn't an ATI victory. This ain't even a selling point. Not unless you got the money to waste setting up the OCing.

If this guy came out with a new driver or something that helped the ATI card reach full potential and slaughter the benchmark, THAT would be worth talking about. What this guy did, is a mild curiosity at best.

Why can't NVIDIA & ATI team up with their respected Motherboard makers and design a motherboard with the freakin' GPU and RAM built right into the MOBO.
cards are already huge as it is.....could you imagine the size of a motherboard trying to fit that in there as well....

HAVOC2k5 said:
Why can't NVIDIA & ATI team up with their respected Motherboard makers and design a motherboard with the freakin' GPU and RAM built right into the MOBO.
Because that would not only be expensive, but a royal pain in the arse for us PC users.

Think about it. To put a $400 video card on a mobo, you add probably $200-300 to the price of that mobo.

Then, if the mobo goes bad, or you blow it up, you're not out just $100, yer out much more.

With seperate video cards (and everything else) if one component needs replacing/upgrading, you can just replace that one component. You don't have to replace the whole thing each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom