Should I turn off my PC daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba888

Beta member
I was told its better to leave your pc turned on at all times if you are using it daily except maybe if you are on a vacation? Can someone confirm as why it is better or not to leave your pc on?

Thanks

It's been said that once a device is running it is better to leave it running.
Ever notice that light bulbs generally "pop" when they get switched on?
I think it's a matter of personal preference.
I prefer not to burn the extra (although minimal) electricity.
If you decide to leave your comp' running, make sure you have a UPS.
Also, if you're on broadband ISP, turn off your modem or get a good firewall to prevent hackers from accessing your stuff and wreaking havoc on the rest of the world.
Have a great day, and welcome to the board!

Yes

In my opinion I believe it should be shut off daily. Ever take out the apc/backup plug strip out of the wall? Most likly your outlet is melting because of the heat.

I wouldn't leave it on because it could lead to fire and plenty of other problems.

Just like us computers need breaks. in the end ou'll get more long-lasting performance on computers that get shut off.

[xptech]

Hmm...
Im confused as to what I should do. Friends tell me its better not to let the pc reboot too much as it can affect the performance everytime it is turned on and off? Does this make any sense? :confused:

None of the computers in my home are left on continuously. I don't belive they have any more or less problems because of it.
I don't think it matters from a software standpoint.
From a hardware standpoint, failures will most likely happen when a device is turned on or off.
If the electrical systems in your home are up to date and connections are tight, the heat that xptech described should never occur.

(cyba888 said)
Im confused as to what I should do. Friends tell me its better not to let the pc reboot too much as it can affect the performance everytime it is turned on and off? Does this make any sense?

One more thing to consider, there is a difference between a cold start and a warm boot.
Rebooting occurs on either, but on a cold start, everything is powering up; warm boot, everything is still running, just starting the processes over.

Just more stuff to confuse you on a higher level.

You may compare turning on and off you PC to turning on and off your car. Every time a vehicle is started, parts are worn, uses fuel, etc. If you were getting out of your car to run a 1-2 minute task, it's better to leave the car running....less fuel consumption, deterioration, etc.
Use this sort of scenario when assessing PC usage. If you are using your PC in the AM and then go to work, I would leave it running during the day if 8 hours later you are just going to use it again. But if you leave for a weekend, shut it down to conserve power. In the long run, it's personal preference...

-Mike

I beleive in turning a computer on everytime you use it, and off everytime you finish using it for the day. My experiences have shown that leaving your computer on all the time uses up a certain amount of memory. And then when you go to use it, it either crashes or freezes. This was a common problem with old Macs and most PC's that I'v used.

I will have to concur with the part about having surge protection if in fact you decide to leave it on 24/7. One hard drive and $80 later that is :D

ON ALL THE TIME!!!!

My linux uptime stats
23:04:21 up 20 days, 7:08, 2 users, load average: 0.52, 0.31, 0.16
[shan@localhost shan]$

to bad i may have to shut it off tonight, as i want to re-arrange my room / computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom