WTF!? 4 GPU in SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, but they buy their own computers...they use like...server farms to do their caculations. Like LOTR used a server farm somewhere in spain to do their video editing. And the architects and studio sometimes use macs and/or have bigger budgets for much more expensive computers. Like server farms.

Nubius said:
I'm down for a dual GPU card, but not that asus one that's a complete monster, but I want a dual GPU card that'll run in a single PCI-E board and I'll be happy.....

Gigabyte makes a dual gpu card with 2 6800gt chips on it. The formfactor is much smaller compared to the asus dual gpu card.

desiboi said:
4 GPUs, hmmmmmmm......*cough*waste of money*cough*

a good waste of money =)

Senseless - yeah I'm aware of that gigabyte board, I've seen quite a few pics of it, and infact I think it was posted not too long ago, same size as far as height just longer than current cards lol

There is some speculation though that ASUS might shrink that card because it was just a reference design

Yea, but they buy their own computers...they use like...server farms to do their caculations. Like LOTR used a server farm somewhere in spain to do their video editing. And the architects and studio sometimes use macs and/or have bigger budgets for much more expensive computers. Like server farms.
Most companies doing intensive graphical rendering that does not involve a gaming enviroment most likely won't be using an ATI or nVidia core, they'll most likely have a wildcat realism or whatever those 512bit VRAM cards are called, which are not so much desgined for speed, but in the same sense as ECC RAM, for reliability and to stray from as few errors as possible.

As for the card sizes, I guess there's no real way of avoiding it, card sizes have constantly grown and unless a new breakthrough happens, cards are just gonna keep getting bigger. Mind you I assume a new form factor of motherboards will be devised specifically to house these monsters...

Him said:
Anyone at the bottom see the story about the 3rd SLi that Gigabyte is developing? They havent even released the 4x SLi, and they are already making it known for 6x SLi. It's beyond Ridiculous, Nubius, it's friggen ludicrious!

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050520_153522.html

"No one will ever need more than 640k of memory" --Bill Gates

Contrary to popular belief you can do other things besides play video games with high power video cards.. There are a few pro audio companies researching/testing the ability to use GPUS for audio mastering. Imagine if you could use GPUS much like you use normal cpus.. Instead of having clusters of cpus, you'd have 10 or 20 machines with 4 or 6 gpus each.. With the gpus processing the number crunching or modeling tasks.

Another scenario..

Maybe some big bad stock broker wants 12 monitors.. How are you gonna do that? The pcie parhellia can only do 3, i vaguely remember something about a card that would do 5 or 7, but other than that you're SOL.. With 4 pcie slots you could take 4 pcie parhellias and link them together for a total of 12 monitor outputs.

I'm considering buying this board (after a little more research) heres why..

1) dual core intels are due out tomorrow

2) The main reason i wanted SLI was for 3 monitor capability.. Well, suprise suprise i can only do 1..

Whats the fun of playing a spanned video game over 2 monitors when your focal point is the middle of the 2 monitors (where there is no monitor..

This way i could get 3 dual gpu cards, have more than enough power per monitor to display whatever it needs to display, and i would have a center monitor for the focal point along with the 2 side view monitors.. Effectively giving me a 180 degree field of view.

Well it's been known for some time that GPU's are ridiculously more complex than a CPU. Millions more transistors and overal very efficient intraquite processors.....like I said, I'm still waiting until it basically becomes it's own motherboard with is mounted directly above your existing motherboard with some sort of high speed interact cable, with the ability to add memory and swap out GPU's by use of sockets just like CPUs :p

Well, technically speaking with this new Crossfire approach by ATI, you could probably just dasiy chain a ton of identical cards together and use that special connecting adapter that they are using now for Crossfire. 1 Master and i don't know 7 other slaves? One hell of a motherboard and case is needed but, i guess it could be done. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom