Question about the ram divider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacp

Daemon Poster
Is it really worth it to overclock your cpu if your ram divider is not set at 1:1? Will you see any improvement at all if you dont use 1:1?

That is a hard question and I haven't gotten a really straight answer yet either. I know it must do something, because my processor is faster. It'd be like me buying an Athlon 3500+ or something with the RAM still functioning at 200 MHz. Of course a 3500+ is faster than a 3000+. I'd imagine it'd give improvement, but it'd give a crapload more improvement if you could keep it at 1:1 which is really the best.

But isn't the 3500 faster because it has a higher clock multiplier? Please someone help me out with this. It is crucial in my decision to either buy a amd 64 3000+ or 3200+.

ok you guys are seriously mixed up in your info............all AMD64's run at 200HTT which is what PC3200 RAM is....be it an AMD64 3000+ or an FX-55 if you have PC3200 it's going to be 1:1 the only thing that changes speeds is the multiplier and of course core differences.

Using something besides 1:1 results in LOSS of performance because the CPU and RAM aren't communicating at the same speeds, one is having to wait for the other.....

Of course if you are an extreme overclocker you might be able to get your CPU to like 320HTT whereas your RAM will only hit 275MHz DDR550 speeds.....but when both the CPU and RAM are that high......it really doesn't matter if it's not 1:1 at that point, but 1:1 is optimal

Sry for being such a newbie, but can you run ddr 433,66, etc ram on a ddr400 mobo? I'm a little confused about that.

Depends on the system, if it's an AMD Socket A system then going above 400FSB means you're overclocking the whole mobo's system speeds which means you'd generally need more voltage to the north bridge which means more heat.

Read into overclocking more and all these kinds of questions will be answered.

Just realize on an AMD64 they are all stock 200HTT....you CAN go above that like 250HTT and then that would match with DDR500 RAM, BUT you'd need to lower the link speed multiplier on the AMD64 so that your total board bandwidth stays at 2000HTT....but from the sounds of it you're more talking about a socket A system which I just explained above......Yes it's possible, but to go beyond that on a socket A system is harder than on the AMD64's

I'm talking about a 64 btw. Also, why do you need to lower the link speed multiplier? Is it necessary to do that? I didn't get what you meant when you said that the total board bandwith has to stay at 2000 htt.

Originally posted by Nubius
Using something besides 1:1 results in LOSS of performance because the CPU and RAM aren't communicating at the same speeds, one is having to wait for the other.....
This isn't making sense to me... if the CPU is supposed to be at 1.8 GHz and is at 2.4 GHz, and the FSB is supposed to be at 200 MHz and is at 250 MHz, and the RAM is supposed to be at 200 MHz and is at 200 MHz (not the same as the FSB) how do you get a loss in performance? It doesn't make sense to me. Even if something has to wait for the RAM, it will still run at least as fast as before, right? You have two things that went up, and one thing that stayed right where it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom