CPU, Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff-Raff

Baseband Member
Ok, I have a lil prob. I took the Heat sink off and was looking at the CPU. The lil prongs on the bottm where bent. I Bent them back and are now straight. I placed it back in. Now the Heat sink and the Thermal compund. The thermal compound came loose. So now the cpu came off the heatsink. there is not alot of compund left. Is it fine? do you only need a little. If not what should i get and how do i take the old Stuff off? Thanks

Yeah... uh... get Arctic Silver 5 if you can, otherwise make do with what you have. You only need some about the size of a pea perhaps. Even less. Some say the size of a grain of rice. Spread it around a little and put the heatsink on. You should be fine.

Also, before you put more gel on, wipe that gel clean first with a rubbing alcohol. What you don't get, let evaporate. Wipe both the heatsink and CPU though.

So... why DID you take it off?

well he was curious, i know i was when i got this computer, anyhoo, yes a grain of rice compound, you can probobly pick it up at best buy or an electronics store for around 10 bucks

next time, dont take your comp apart unless you really know what you are doing

I took it off becasue the place i bought it from. Didnt give me my Network card, or fans. It said that they did so i wanted to see if they even gave me a Cpu. they did.
OK well thanks

HAHA! Rather suspicious, are we?

Sorry Wayne, but Riff, dont spread it around. Just put a little in the middle, and then slap on the heatsink, and it will spread itself.

And in the future, as powerslave said, dont take apart your comptuer unless you know what you are doing.

Him said:
HAHA! Rather suspicious, are we?

Sorry Wayne, but Riff, dont spread it around. Just put a little in the middle, and then slap on the heatsink, and it will spread itself.

And in the future, as powerslave said, dont take apart your comptuer unless you know what you are doing.

Yep, listen to him.. er Him.. whatever...
anyways.. there's a whole other thread about this - DO NOT SPREAD AS5 AROUND YOURSELF; LET THE HEATSINK DO THE SPREADING.

And, please.. don't "go with whatever you have" get AS5... it's worth every cent.

Does he even mention what CPU he has.........you spread AS5 on a CPU that has just the die showing......if it's a CPU with a heatspreader on it like the AMD64's or somewhat newer Intels, THATs the only time you put a small dot in the middle and let the heatsink smash it......other than that you're supposed to take the stuff and spread a really thin coating over the CPU core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom