Average Life??

Status
Not open for further replies.
They last long enough. After 10 years, how can you even put up with such an old system.

tylerdrude said:
Average life of a non oc'ing computer to a oc'd computer

(just post how long they have lasted you, ill average everyones, i know theres gonna be it differs and stuff)
PC lifespan is like wild-animal lifespans. No one knows how long they live, because something usually gets them before they die of "old age."

Potentially, over-clocking hardware in your PC can have a detrimental effect on the lifespan of the components (and the PC as a whole) but it's very sketchy.

When you overclock a component, you're usually pushing it beyond its factory-designed range of operation. Some components have no problem with this. Others do.

Think of it kinda like a bathtub. If you have a 55 gallon bathtub, and they recommend that you fill it to 30 gallons, you could fill it beyond 30 gallons (up to 55) and it would still hold water. More precisely, you can fill it to ALMOST 55 gallons, because at 55 gallons it possibly leaks a little as the water spills here and there. Push it any further, and you've got problems. You can continue using your tub at 40 gallons instead of 30 for however long you want.

Okay, bad example maybe, but you get the idea. (I hope.)

If you massively overclock components to where you must rely on extreme cooling to keep them alive, yer probably looking at a decreased lifespan. If yer just overclocking by a few steps, the ill effects would possibly be transparent to the lifespan of the component.

I agree with Shoobie.
My MMX (using it as server) is 8 years old. I overclocked it about 5 months ago. I guess it will last for at least another 2 decades.

My mom had her old 386, for like 10 or 12 years. She did all her work on it and absolutely refused to upgrade. She only upgraded because, well, it was a 386.

Shoob, a better example would have been a car. I use that when I explain what overclockiing is to people. If you put Nitrous in a car and dont properly upgrade things, your call will not like it and things will easily break. However, if you put in nitrous and properly change gaskets and rings and whatnot, your car will thank you for it. Granted, it will cause things to have less of a lifespan than they would if you didnt pump them up, but still long enough to last you until you upgrade.

The last thing i would want to do is mess with one. I'd love to replace it though : )

OC a lot and see what happens. Like everyone has said, you will upgrade before your components die on you. And if they die, BUY NEW ONES! It will be easy to justify if you have to replace crappy parts with good ones. :)

Him said:
OC a lot and see what happens. Like everyone has said, you will upgrade before your components die on you. And if they die, BUY NEW ONES! It will be easy to justify if you have to replace crappy parts with good ones. :)

eh im buying a new setup, i was saying i guess ill oc that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom