A key switch, turn it with a key!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool, I must say. Or, you can just put a lock on the door of the case so that nobody can open it to turn on the power button...:)

Although, the car ignition dealy sounds pretty sweet.

Well, has anyone seen the size of a car ignition coil? It's huge. Far too large to fit into my case. But I could just take a keywswitch and hook my power button up to it. Same thing, just smaller and cheaper. ;)

How would that work though? You click it all the way forward to an "ignition" to start the pc, and it then drops back into the "on" position? But what about when you turn your pc off. It'll have to be just a click forward to turn it on and it'll drop back into the "not doing anything" position won't it? Have fun with that.

True that true that, forgot aboot that. I saw momentary key switches, that switch to the on position for a second and then flicks back. That is what I would need. But I want one for my BIOS reset, because when I start to overclock I dont want to have to yank the battery for 30s each time I went too high or something.

Thanks to Nubius for the CMOS reset switch idea. Thanks to me for the keyswtich idea. :p

Him said:
I'm not seriously going to go with a fingerprinter reader, thats ridiculous. I mean, it would be cool to have, but in reality? I dont know. Especially a fingerprint reader to turn on a switch. That would require a dedicated computer just to be able to read the switch. But I'm gonna get my hands on a key switch one way or another.
Biometric security devices are great, but not for home/personal machines. Get anything on them, and they don't function right. No function, no PC.

As for the switch, sounds like you should use a more active OCing solution rather than doing everything hardware. ie-A software solution. If your motherboard doesn't support OS-side overclocking, get a new one. Then you don't have to worry about switches or any of that junk.

Software overclocking? I think I heard about that once before, but I think I was told that it is not as good as doing it through the hardware. But who knows, certainly not me. :confused:

ABit IC-7 MAXII, good mobo, think it would support it?

Regardless, I still would like a switch with a security measure on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom