Hardware Error: My Computer is Owning Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

FadingTheory

I Rule You
Recently, my computer started giving me the blue screen, listing a hardware error and shuting my computer down. I ignored it. It became increasingly worse, finally ending with a a shutdown that my computer could not recover from. It would give the error everytime I tried to boot, and then restart. Using Safe Mode, I could tell that the error occured at the giveio.sys file (I never actually got to boot into safe mode, but while booting to safe mode it listed the processes it was running. It always stopped at this one).

So, I did the hard thing and wiped my hard drive. I then re-installed my Windows XP, and put all my drivers on. While on the internet and downloading trillian, the computer failed with the same error, and began its error during boot up (Though now, the error always occurs durng mpps.sys or mups.sys [I'll check again later]).

Now, I'm dreading the thought, but this may be hardware related. All my warrenties are void (overclocking and aftermarket cooling), and I don't have the funds to fix the problem. I've tried re-sitting the RAM, switching its socket, pulling my modem and CD-ROM (The only non-essential to boot devices I have), and yanking all but the most important power cords. Nothing works. However, the fact that it worked after Windows was re-loaded troubles me. I really don't know what to do.

ANd no, I can't find the error. The blue screen dosnt stay up long enough for me to see it.

Please help me, I am in dire need of aid.

FadingTheory said:
ANd no, I can't find the error. The blue screen dosnt stay up long enough for me to see it.

Please help me, I am in dire need of aid.
Take a picture of it with a digital camera and post it here. Could it be that the RAM has gone bad? Try Linux, not to keep, but just to see if it still happens with a different OS.

Have you tried putting your hard drive in another computer and scanning it? Could be a bad sector.

Okay, I was trying to check my hard drive, but the stupid thing wasn't even good enough to be read. Either that, or NTFS was just screwing with me... in anycase, if it wasnt my hard drive before, it is now. I accidently shorted out the HD controller... oops. Not to get into detail, but there was alot of smoke... ugh.

I pulled an older Quantum Fireball out though, and I'll load XP on it and see what happens. With any luck, I'll be good to go, and all I'll have to do is get a new hard drive (I needed an 80 GB SATA anyway).

If its something else... shit.

Thansk for the advice. If anyone else has any, speak up.

I'll post my resultsa later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom