Dead LCD pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cet643

Beta member
Without warning, a row of dead pixels, 8 inches long, has appeared on my 15" lcd monitor attached to a G4 imac, 3 years old. I expect that dead pixels may occur but at random, one here or two there, not in 1 continuous row down the screen.

I always put the screen to sleep when not in use. I do not spend hours on one application. Nothing I was using in the past 12 hours matches the line of pixels.

Has anyone heard of this happening or is this a deliberate built-in end-of-life program?

Can physical abuse cause this?

I assume this is not a repair but a replace job.

imac = icrap

LOL

I'm not a Mac user so I'm not judgemental, some people can't live without them.

As for your problem... think of it like Christmas lights. Lets say electric flows from left to right on this string of christmas lights. If one blows up halfway though it, only the left half of the lights will turn on, the rest wont. One of the pixels blew up, and judging from the archeciture (misspelled I know) that might be what happened. One blew, and the rest of the ones after it died with it.

cet643 said:
is this a deliberate built-in end-of-life program?
Bingo. It stops working after 3 years, forcing you to buy a new one. Be careful, the computer you have is equip with a 240-megaton thermonuclear explosive device that is triggered after four years of use, you may want to keep your distance from it when that time comes around. Ya, you will have to replace it.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Try lightly tapping on the pixels

yea, try that

i've also heard that rubbing on it for a while MIGHT work (i doubt it...but it's worth a try)

cet643 said:
Has anyone heard of this happening or is this a deliberate built-in end-of-life program?
I have lost count the number of people that think just because their computer died just out side or towards the end of the warranty period, they think I have placed some sort of time bomb inside their CPU or monitor.

Thanks for your replies Rouen, DJ-Chris, 003, Diablo11, Matt2m, Harper, Greg. I have tried the tapping and rubbing, but with 8 inches (how many pixels is that?) I really am behind the 8-ball.

My AppleCare has 9 days to expiry but I've been told it's already expired. How right you are, Harper.

Well folks, this is an excelent example of what happens when you use Apple products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom